1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trailer is out for "W." - Oliver Stone's new movie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jul 29, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's not Neal McConough. It's Ioan Gruffud.

2. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

I love Stone as a filmmaker, although he has his clunkers.

Methinks this will be one of them. I get the feeling that the quest to "nail" Bush will outweigh the quest to make a good movie.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

World Trade Center was the worst movie of 2007, a disturbingly laughable, self-indulgent farce.

This looks absolutely excellent. And lets be honest, Dubya is a fun subject. He'll be remembered as the worst President ever, but he's a great and interesting personality. I'll be there for this film.

4. part-timer

part-timer Member

Cromwell will always be Stretch Cunningham, Archie Bunker's buddy, from All in the Family to me.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

That's what I've read, too.

Those expecting something in the vein of Fahrenheit 9/11 will be disappointed.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Alma and others are probably correct.

Once again, if you read the EW article I posted, Stone's intention was never to do a total hatchet job on Fredo as President.

It appears to be a look at Bush as a person, a flawed one, but a person nevertheless.I also suspect that the movie will address the question, "How did this semi-literate failure get to be POTUS?"

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Maybe that would be a reach. IMDB says that's not a problem, though, that Blair is being portrayed by Ioan Gruffudd.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I never could remember where I had seen Cromwell before. Right on the money, p-t.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given what's in the trailer, looks like Stone relied on Kitty Kelley's book on the Bush family for much of the dirt . . . most of which has been cross-confirmed by other sources, as well.

10. Hey watch it, fellas. I'm still in the room.

Speaking of Nixon - not me, the movie - I've yet to see it.

Nobody spoil the end for me.

11. Would you like to see me in the buff?

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/columnists/jim_reeves/index.html

Interesting piece by Jim Reeves (Fort Worth Star-Telegram) on Cowboys radio vet Brad Sham having a role in "W."

Most interesting is this, which gives pause for thought about how reflective Hollywood really is...

Once Brolin learned that Sham knew Bush a little bit from the president’s days as Rangers owner, the actor pushed to learn all that he could about him.

"I told him I really didn’t know him well, but I knew him a little and he’s a really good guy," Sham said. "Whatever your politics are, if you took the politics out of it, you’d like hanging out with him.

"That concept had never occurred to [Brolin]. He wanted to hear all about that."

No, Bush is just a monster of a human being. Right Bro?

Draft saved Draft deleted