1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tragedy seems to find my wife's family (plea for prayers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

My wife (who has posted here once or twice as Zsaji, 1980s-era Marvel comics geeks will get the reference) and I have spent most of each of the last four days at the hospital. With her father and sister (and a LOT of friends and other family), we have been sitting at her mother's bedside.

My mother-in-law is a five-foot tall Japanese woman, born and raised in Tokyo. And her grand presence has towered over our lives and the lives of many others. She is her family's main presence, its matriarch in every way. A decade ago, my wife's brother died in a plane crash when his single-engine plane went down in New Mexico (he was flying back to his Midwest flight school after a visit to L.A.). And my mother-in-law, while also paying heed to her own religious belief that she would see her son again, held the rest of the family together through sheer force of will.

Now, she is in a hospital bed, her brain deteriorating by the day due to the effects of a major cerebral aneurysm. She always had high blood pressure, but was quite healthy and active in every other way; the proverbial 67-year-old who could pass for being in her 40s. But Tuesday afternoon, her high blood pressure, a family trait, caught up with her. The talk now is of DNR requests, notifying her relatives back in Japan, and of how this family, which has already had a major tragedy in the last decade, will endure and continue when this is over.

There is also talk of miracles, but that has faded as the days have gone on. Still . . . .

If anyone has some good will to send to the West Coast, we'd appreciate it. Any thoughts and prayers would help.

Thanks for listening.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Good thoughts from the Rockies, Piotr.

I'm so sorry for you and your wife. :(

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Damn, best of luck Piotr. Very tough situation.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

So sorry to read that, Piotr, and I know how awful it is to see a loved one go downhill so quickly and to come to the realization that miracles, at least in this case, are for other people. My thoughts are with you.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am on the West Coast and sending some thoughts your way.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

All my best to you and yours, Piotr.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

PR - good thoughts coming down from Oregon. Hang tight man. We're with you and your family.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Thoughts and prayers from Kansas to the Coast.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Our best to you and yours, Piotr.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family, Piotr.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My thoughts are with you, your wife and her family.

12. I don't have any idea what faith tradition -- if any -- your mother-in-law follows, but I'm partial to the Shinto prayer for peace in this situation.

Although the people living across the ocean surrounding us, I believe, are all our brothers and sisters, why are there constant troubles in this world?
    Why do the winds and waves rise in the ocean surrounding us?
    I only earnestly wish that the wind will soon puff away all the clouds which are hanging all over the tops of the mountains.

Be well.

Draft saved Draft deleted