1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trademark symbol

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 29, 2008.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

You're never legally required to use the trademark symbol in an editorial/news context. As someone else said, just capitalize as you would any proper noun. (By the way, no, you don't have to capitalize every letter, a la SPAM or USA TODAY, regardless of what the product does with its own name.)

If you are writing promotional copy -- I think you said it was for a contest -- that's a gray area. If you're doing a news story about a contest your paper is sponsoring, no, you don't need the TM symbol or a circled-R (registered trademark) or an SM (service mark) or a circled-C (copyright) or anything else some corporation may insist upon. But if you're writing something for a marketing-driven section -- you know, with different fonts for headlines and body copy to distinguish it from editorial space -- then, well, you might. Doesn't mean I'd stick one in there unless someone told me to.

Good luck.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Depends who gave you one. Are we talking about a car dealer? :)

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I got a letter from the Velcro people and from the Ziplock people.

I replied to both by saying they never would have to ever worry again about the name being incorrect in our newspaper because I never would use their proper name again.

From then on, I have used "resealable bag" or "hook and loop fastener."

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Football_Bat™

Hey, I like it. Somebody get the trademark office on the phone.

5. Once in my younger days I received an angry letter from Velcro for including the word in lowercase. At the time I had no idea.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

realtors get snippy about caps, too.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

And competition, too. :)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Which is why Hoops McCann will always be a renter.

Draft saved Draft deleted