1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tracking wireless bandwidth use

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by Peg McNichol, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Peg McNichol

Peg McNichol Member

I picked up a mifi yesterday (for my new Macbook Pro!) and was sorry to learn that, unlike the unlimited data under my Blackberry plan, the mifi is capped at 5 gigs. :( (The ATT guy tells me that all the major wireless providers are instituting data caps and that unlimited plans will become limited as time goes on.)

Apps exist to track online data use -- does anyone here have recommendations for a good one?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You should be able to track of it in your My Verizon account.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Mine tells me how much I've used every time I connect. Unless you download a lot of big files, 5 gigs goes a very long way. I've never gone over and my wireless card is my home internet.

4. becart

becart New Member

You should be able to monitor your bandwidth usage using your account given by your internet service provider. It became really common for even an unlimited plan to come with a cap. I guess they are becoming a little more realistic now as bandwidth is really expensive. You can also look at network traffic monitor? That is a third party application but it will suffice.

I would have to agree that 5gb will go a very long way. I use my plan for tethering and just shows me at that range.

Draft saved Draft deleted