1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Track (running) style question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, May 7, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Please save the snark ("who cares? It's track!") until after I get a real answer please.

AP stylebook is vague and I fall back on swimming... in copy and in agate.

Are relays total (as in 400 relay, 1,600 relay...) or by leg (4x100, 4x400)....

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The papers I've been at have all used 400 relay, 1,600 relay, etc. I have no problem doing it the other way. It's more a matter of individual taste.

Of course, I'm in that part of the world where track coaches still call it the mile relay.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The stylebook does list "1,600-meter relay" in the agate. I've been writing it the same as pressboxer's examples -- 400 relay, 1,600 relay, etc. -- in mine. (Agate, that is. 400-meter relay, and so on, in my copy.)

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

My boss' individual taste is by leg.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm a lifelong track guy and go 400 and 1,600, but to repeat my tiresome and oft-repeated line, as long as you do it the same way every time, it doesn't matter.

I do, however, like that it matches swimming style, which never does the 4x100 route.

AP is back and forth, as they are on far too many things these days.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I do 4x100, 4x400 and 4x800 because that is how the runners and coaches refer to it (Then again, they'll also call the 1,600-meter run the "mile" and the 3,200 the "two-mile", so what do I know?). When I started here, I didn't have anyone here to tell me any different.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just checked our style because I'd forgotten what our writers do. 4x100, 4x400, 4x800.

Don't like that it doesn't follow AP style ... but at least they're consistent with it.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Every paper I've been at has always done it by total (400, 1600, 3200), in both copy and agate.

9. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I always thought this was a matter of taste.
    Though I've never heard a track coach, or a sprinter for that matter, call it the "400 relay or "1600 relay."

They've always ALWAYS called it the "4x1" or "4x4." Plus, I think using "4x100" is easier to understand for non-track fans. Of course, why would a non-track fan be reading track agate anyway?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

400 meter relay, 1600 meter relay

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As noted above. Just be consistent.

Personally? 400 relay, 1,600 relay.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing with what correct style is, but I'll say that I use 4x100 and 4x400, simply because they can't be taken the wrong way. If you write the 400 relay, a reader doesn't know whether it's 4x1 or 4x4 -- ideally they can figure it out by the time, but just seems like the simpler option.

Draft saved Draft deleted