1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toys for Tots

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ashy--I know your heart is in the right place, but everything these kids have is used. This is a rare chance for them to have something new and special.

A few years ago, when I got involved in this foundation that benefits homeless kids, I (insanely) agreed to have all these donated 'new' toys dropped off at my house, after they were donated to area schools. I'm talking about 75 Hefty bags full of toys. First I cried because we would have all these toys to donate. Then I cried when I saw the garbage that many people--very affluent people--had donated thrown away.

Of those 75 bags, I think I dragged 40 of them to the curb for the trash pickup. Included in the 'donations':

--filthy stuffed animals that had been chewed, barfed on, etc.
    --ziploc bags of checkers, no boards
    --Happy Meal gadgets
    --board games in bashed up boxes and half the pieces missing
    --manila envelope with puzzle pieces
    --a Fisher Price phonograph player! For all the phonograph records the homeless kids drag around with them!
    --and my favorite....A Do It Yourself Lemonade Stand, so the homeless kids could go buy lemons and make some cash in the shelter

So yeah, if you donate for the holidays, give what you'd want to get, give what your kids would love, and if it needs batteries, buy the batteries and tape them to the gift.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Just gave $25 online. I wish there was a way to pick out the toy, but if I wanted to do that I should've got this done sooner.

The online donation is great for people like me who want to help but forget to actually go to the store.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A Barbie and Legos were bought and put in the bin yesterday. I'd already bought clothes for a little girl at church, so I wasn't planning on donating anymore girlie things, but 21 inspired me.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Good call, 21. Just donated online.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Since I'm going to be away from family this Christmas, one of the gifts I gave to each of them was the knowledge that I would be buying one toy to represent each of them in a Toys for Tots donation. I bought three basketballs, a football, soccer ball, some Hot Wheels cars (5 in the pack) and a coloring book and crayons. Dropped it off at a local restaurant that was sponsoring a dropoff point. I feel good and family members can feel good, too, knowing that a toy will be enjoyed by a youngster this Christmas.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Call the local USMC recruiting office and see if they can direct you. Heck, they might agree to take it themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted