1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tour de France coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BH33, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Lay off, shotglass. Virtually every newspaper in America will carry some mention, even in brief form, of the NHL playoffs or the Tour. Ninety-nine percent of this site is justified fear and loathing over the future and direction of the industry. Well, if you're in the business, use the product. I don't care if you don't do layout or don't cover hockey. Read the damn thing. And save the excuses and the pithy B-movie comebacks for something else.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wait...all I need to do to save newspapers is start reading about the Tour de France?

I'm still not sure it's worth it.

3. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Sorry dad.

4. Now go to your room! And take an Atlanta Journal-Constitution with you.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ghost Rider, only YOU can save newspapers.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. times38

times38 Member

We've been burying it inside and I doubt our readers would notice if it wasn't there at all.

7. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I'm standing at the finish line of the Tour de France's second stage. The winner crossed the line yesterday. I'm still waiting for the first American to show up. (Apologies to Dan Jenkins.) Running it back, back, back - deep inside (which could be B3 and with any luck at all, B4 - unless advertsing finds another reason to run a full-page house ad of one of our reps holding the cutest friggin' pet ever. Send your submissions for cutest friggin' pet ever to ...). The tour will stay there until the end draws near or an American shows up. Good luck, George Hincapie.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Eh, usually I am aware of what's going on. But this is fuckin' bike riding. I could ride a bike when I was in kindergarten. I'm not impressed.

And it's not my job to make sure any kind of agate gets in.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I read our paper everyday. In fact, I just read it. If it weren't for this thread, I *still* wouldn't know the Tour is going on. I must have missed that brief. Sorry. Don't tell my bosses.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Threadjack: In light of our recent NFL Europe/Europa debate, why would be call this the France Tour instead of the Tour de France?

11. Tour de France = most physically demanding event in all of sports. These guys put in thousands of hours a year on the saddle. Some Guy, I doubt you could stay with the peloton for one mile.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, yeah. No kidding. I'm just joking there, sport. It's an impressive physical feat. But, in the end, not all that interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted