1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toughest college programs to cover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Sep 22, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

In honor of the FWAA delivering its directories last night, I was flipping through and wondering about this.

Thoughts:

1. Penn State - Maybe you get players, maybe you don't this week. You never know. Plus, at a public university, the head coach's salary is a closely guarded secret.

2. Notre Dame - Terrible access. Combative head coach. Private university that reveals absolutely nothing, and doesn't need to, because they'll be covered corner-to-corner regardless.

3. Alabama - They don't call it "Fort Shula" for nothing. And you'll work to death on this beat.

4. Michigan - Boring head coach who becomes flat-out surly after a loss. Player access one day a week, take it or leave it.

5. Temple - Just because you have to watch Temple every week.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Interesting list.

Since I cover college hoops, I'd be interested to see peoples' lists in that sport also.

I don't do enough national stuff to know one way or the other, and the team I cover is pretty good with access/info distribution. Certainly better than it was.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

how about the ones that flat out suck and have worthless SIDs?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Potty mouth.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I can't remember the whole story, but shouldn't a lawsuit all but take care of any secret surrounding Paterno's salary?

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The State Blue Book would have their "salary" in it. It doesn't include everything, but I have heard it's pretty close to accurate.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is Penn State's athletic department set up as an independent entity? If it is, then he wouldn't be a state employee.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Notre Dame would seem to me to be the toughest to cover. The "U" might be a close second.

9. 85bears

85bears Member

Doesn't the "U" have open locker rooms and wide open access during the week?

10. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

I worked at Ann Arbor for awhile and saw the bullshit people had to go through to cover U-M football. No thanks. The other sports are a bit better there, especially hockey.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Perhaps, but I was just thinking about all of the stuff that goes along with covering Miami.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In interviewing once at Ann Arbor, a great deal of emphasis was put on the difficulties of dealing with Carr's office.

But you might get that in any big NCAA D-i town, I dunno.

Draft saved Draft deleted