1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toughest beats in the big four (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Aug 28, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The toughest beat in all of sprts for the past 35 years is the New York Yankees.
    It's not even close.

2. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Any team that has all the NY papers covering it has to be the hardest in its sport.

Covering the Lakers, you have: LA Times, Daily News, Press-Enterprise, OC Register.

Covering the Knicks, you have about double that.

I'd believe there are harder hockey beats than the Rangers, though, because a lot of those papers have really backed off.

3. dealing with freddie coupons ain't a picnic, either.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was a small-paper guy who only covered training camp and home games, and the Cardinals couldn't have been easier to deal with. Bidwill is so far away from everything that he's not even a factor.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good.

I remember Tim McDonald telling writers after he left for san Francisco that Bidwill would be his best friend on Monday, but on Tuesday they would walk past each other or share an elevator on Tuesday and he would not even say hello.

Strange guy.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

That Toronto Maple Leafs job would be tough in some ways. You have an organization that keeps making the dumbest mistakes possible and a fanbase that's so dumb, they'll rip you apart for calling them on it. That, and in Toronto, hockey is a 365 day a year beat.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That reads like a challenge ... but damn if I can come up with a tougher one.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Red Wings can't be a bad team to cover. Everyone is always in good spirits because the team is awesome. Babcock is easy going, the players are happy. Detroit can't be bad to cover.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The mutual ownership of both the Rangers and Knicks fed into my pick. That's a longterm topic of discussion around here.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would really love to hear an official explanation as to why Rangers GM Glen Sather does not talk to NYC reporters.

11. Xodus

Xodus Member

What about college football with tyrant SIDs and egomaniac head coaches?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]What are you talking about? He's a kindly, cuddly grandfather type who is always accessible and accountable. The Mets are a family. They're so much cohesive and unified than the Yankees.[/blue]

Draft saved Draft deleted