1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toughest beats in the big four (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Came up with this idea after reading SI's preview on the Patriots, detailing how they've neutered the Boston media corps. Now, when I say toughest, I'm taking into account: the number of rival news outlets one is competing with; cooperativeness of the front office, coaching staff & players; the team's legacy (famous players and no. of championships); and the size & intensity of the fan base/readership. It should be interesting to see what some of you have to say. Anyway, my semi-educated ballot would go:

MLB -- Tie: New York Yankees & Boston Red Sox

NBA -- Los Angeles Lakers

NFL -- New England Patriots

NHL -- Detroit Red Wings (shot in the dark, I know next-to-nothing about the NHL)

If you asked me this a year ago, the Knicks would have been my NBA answer for obvious reasons, but the regime change altered my vote in that matter. What say ye?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

NHL: Toronto.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And Montreal. Talk about two hockey-mad markets. Mad worlds there, folks.

Also NBA would have to be the Knicks until Donnie Walsh can break down the walls the previous regime foolishly built.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Zimmerman's take on the Pats beat contains some truth and much bullshit. There is information to be had there, but it ain't gonna be handed out on a platter to "national" media who blow in for a big game or a training camp visit.
    Belichick will stonewall, but he won't outright lie to your face. That's preferable in my book, and we've all covered coaches who would and could do so.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Disagree ... considering Montreal and Toronto are old-school markets. My guess would be more along the lines of the folks in Anaheim who have to deal with Brian Burke or my boys here in Calgary who have to suffer through Darryl Sutter's regime.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does Arizona still give out press passes on a game-by-game basis?

I'm sure the Cards are not the toughest, but if Bidwill Sr. is still in charge, things I'm sure can be quirky.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not so sure I can buy Anaheim, Flash. I just can't imagine as many people are climbing over one another to get the latest scoop on the Ducks ... with all due respect to the Ducks fans on the board.

Calgary? Suffice it to say I'm in no position to argue with you there.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I did some work for a SoCal paper this past season, which included dealing with Burke. He's Irish bluster, full of piss and vinegar and knows he is bright. But Burke is not impossible to deal with.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Consider yourself lucky then. I know of folks in Vancouver who dealt with him regularly and were not so fortunate.

He's usually nicer to one-offs than he is with beat writers anyway.

10. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I was leaning towards the Knicks for a while, but I would have thought that a lot of the barriers in place during the Isaiah Error would be gone by now? Or are orders like all interviews must be supervised by PR staffers a Dolan directive?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NBA: Knicks
    NHL: Rangers

Can't imagine why those two come to mind.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Flash,

Burke is great here. In Vancouver, I imagine there was nothing bigger than the Canucks, and Burke knew it. In LA, we have the Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA -- hell, he's got the Angels down the street -- and he's right there with the Clippers and Kings. I've only dealt with him a couple times but our hockey folk like him. Plus, his owners let him do whatever he wants, so that helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted