1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough luck, RU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Dec 2, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Touche, D-3. Most people don't remember the stone ages, though.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Friedgen did a nice job this year with his own players.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not 10-win good.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Georgia Tech is GUARANTEED a berth in the Gator if the Chick-fil-A selects Virginia Tech (likely).

The Gator is No. 3 in the ACC pecking order. The ACC put in a rule saying you can't jump a team for selection unless you are within one win of the team ahead of you in the standings. The only teams that can jump GT are Wake (already in the BCS) and VT. GT was 7-1 in the ACC. The rest of the pack has five wins or less.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That funny that you mentioned stone ages, wicked.

Correct me if I'm wrong or not, but didn't Florida and Florida St. played each other in the regular season, only to play each other for the national title at the end of the year? Or did Florida had to win the game to be champs?

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Yes, in 1996, Florida and Florida State were both undefeated for their regular season meeting, and Florida State won, 24-21, to take the #1 ranking.

A week later, Florida, now ranked #3, won the SEC Championship Game. That same day, new #2 Nebraska was upset by Texas in the inaugural Big 12 championship game, vaulting Florida back to #2 in the polls.

Since the Sugar Bowl can take the ACC Champion and SEC Champion, they of course jumped at the opportunity to take a #1 and #2 matchup for the national title. Florida took the rematch, 52-20.

7. D-3 Fan

suburbia, thank you very much! Now, if the pre-BCS mess ended up having a rematch, I have to inquire why do a large number of individuals seem to have short memories about that particular situation? Personally, I'm in the minority and will say that I would not have had a problem with a Michigan/OSU rematch, but I understand the strong sentiments against it.

But that's why to hear "no rematch, no rematch" talk sound somewhat cheap and flat.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Agree wholeheartedly. It has ruined college football for me. You take some classic game and then turn it into a joke.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, you're calling out the wrong person on that one. I had no issue with a Michigan-Ohio State rematch.

10. D-3 Fan

I wasn't talking about you! How did you come up with that assertion? :)

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You were replying to my post, D-3.

Anyway, let me stop threadjacking: The question Schiano needs to ask himself is, "Where do I want to be in five years?" If it's the NFL, go to Miami and use the job as a stepping stone, provided things don't totally fall apart there. If it's a major college program, wait it out at Rutgers.

12. D-3 Fan

No, I find it funny on how most people (not you) seems to forget about the Florida-FSU deal in '96 and are against a rematch now. The both of us don't have a problem if there is a rematch.

Draft saved Draft deleted