1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tough luck, RU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Dec 2, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Don't you think your thoughts there deserved their own thread?

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I think there's a small chance the Gator will go for the Cinderella story and take Rutgers over WVU. By small I mean 1% or less chance, but there's still a remote possibility it could happen.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In NJ - and at Rutgers - Schiano will be treated like royalty for what he's done. He'll be king of the world and if Rutgers slumps and has a bad year, he won't be run out of Dodge, he'll be given a chance to rebound.
    At Miami he'll be expected to produce from Day 1 and turn the program's culture around from Day 1. Lose 2 games and people will be calling for his head, his job will be in jeopardy. It's a better recruiting situation, but a higher pressure job.

I think he'll stay in Jersey where he's master of his domain and people are grateful for the success - instead of simply expecting it to happen like at Miami. Plus given all the TV exposure Rutgers has gotten this season (I think more of their games were on national TV this year than Miami's were) recruiting might get easier.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Miami would certainly be a higher-pressure job, but he'd be perfectly capable of winning a national championship there. I don't think he can at Rutgers.

So I guess the question is, is Schiano going to be happy with 7-9 win seasons and third-tier bowl berths, or does he want it all? Because if he wants to have a run like Florida State had (14 straight top-5 finishes) or what Ohio State is currently having (4 BCS bowls in five years and will be favored to win a second national title in that span), he needs to go to Miami.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I repeat suburbia,

SCHIANO IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"What can Paterno's brownshirts do for you?" Never knew he changed careers. :D

And I'm with spnited. Schiano stays there. ONLY way he leaves Joisey is when Paterno retires and IF no one on staff (read: Tom Bradley) gets the gig.

(And this is just a gut feeling, but I think Paterno never coaches another game after the Outback Bowl. The leg injury may have knocked some sense into him.)

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

By the way, Suburbia, New Jersey is one of the top five states in terms of high school talent. He has another season or two like this, and he'll be able to get anyone from the Northeast he wants. It'll be like Penn State back in the 1970s and 1980s; he'll have Jersey to Maine all locked up.

8. What a huge dump taken by the Rutgers defense in overtime. Good lord.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

College football overtime is like softball extra innings, when they start with a runner on second base. It's a bullshit, mickey mouse way to end a game.

10. definitely

that ain't football

no way to determine which is the better team

11. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

And NJ ISN'T a recruiting hotbed? Where did Dwayne Jarrett come from? And isn't the top OL recruit in the nation from Piscataway? NJ doesn't have the volume of people like Florida, Texas or California, but I think they send out a good number of kids to top programs for its population.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Brian Leonard came back to play in a big game like the Texas Bowl.

And Schiano isn't going anywhere. In a couple of years, there could be a possibility. But he is building a big time program and would look like a huge ass if he bails now after what they have commited for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted