1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Touchdown Jesus wept ... or at least he will when he sees these uniforms.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KU might be an adidas school, but because the football is pathetic/irrelevant, they haven't taken the time to completely butcher the Jayhawks' jerseys.

Liked adidas a whole lot more when they weren't trying to match/out-do the Nike Combat jerseys.

2. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

This is all Oregon's fault

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(drops microphone)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know we hate these uniforms, and rightly so, but the kids absolutely love them. Namely, recruits. Notre Dame can't do anything about the weather in South Bend, but what it can do is try to send a message that it isn't stuck in the early 20th century. Is it superficial that an ugly uniform and helmet should serve to send that message? Absolutely. Are 17-year-olds superficial? Absolutely.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, Dick, I disagree. "We're like those other programs" just isn't gonna fly as a marketing message for Notre Dame. Kids see the campus and learn that's not true in a heartbeat. What Notre Dame has to sell is that it IS different, and tradition is a big part of that difference.
    Funny how Nick Saban hasn't seen fit to give Alabama alternate uniforms.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That may be what they have to sell, but nobody's buying. I'm not saying that Notre Dame should become Oregon, or even that this particular idea will start luring recruits to South Bend. But unlike Alabama, Notre Dame does not have a natural geographic recruiting base. Kids attend a game at a stadium with no jumbotron and where the wine-and-cheese fans ask boisterous spectators in their section to quiet down, please. This is a dog whistle to recruits that Notre Dame is about the present and future, not just showing off John Huarte's Heisman Trophy.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Not a fan of those helmets, the rest of the uniform, meh. Anything is better than that abomination that was Maryland last year.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't mind Wisconsin and Nebraska's. The all-red from AtM is decent also.

9. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

A recruit that is going to think that helmet is a good idea is going to hate the other aspects of football at Notre Dame -- living in regular dorms, going to class, no pathetically easy athlete majors. The uniform -- who cares? Notre Dame's uniforms are pretty much constantly changing. The helmet is just plain bad and ugly.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Headbutt just cracked Mercury Morris' cat in the head with an empty champagne bottle.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I agree it looks more like something for Navy or perhaps the St. Louis Rams. I wouldn't have guessed Notre Dame without seeing the Irish on the jersey or the side of the helmet with the sticker.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The fuck?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted