1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Total recall - The Cheesehead Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's not considered double-dipping by most rational people.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Because my boy was a screw-up at Marquette U., a screw-up as Milwaukee County Executive and he is continuing his fine work as Gov.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The link below says half of all teachers leave within five years of entering the profession. That is consistent with other things I have read. I read an op-ed by the a former superintendent, I think Klein of New York City, who said that teacher compensation is flawed in two ways.

One, the current pension plan and compensation scale with annual salary increases means that after 15 years people do not leave, even the burnouts. But that entry level salaries were such that schools lost a lot of younger people that he wanted to keep.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/08/AR2006050801344.html

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There are quite a few cases of people retiring from a job, starting pension payments, and then immediately doing the exact same job for the same government entity.

Also, I posted a double-dipping case in LA where cops and firefighters would somehow be classified as retired to start the pension benefit but continue to work for the next five years.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Double-dipping is a problem in a lot of areas. Gov. Rick Perry took advantage of a loophole in Texas law to retire, start drawing his $7,700 per month pension and remain in office.

But good luck getting politicians to rewrite the laws to prevent such double-dipping.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think people are so fed up and aware of it now that you may start to see some laws to prevent people from milking the system the way they have for so many years.

Hell, my uncle was a cop in California. He retired in his early 50s and started working private security. He always joked that he had to retire to finally become rich...

Draft saved Draft deleted