1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torture Town!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Embrace your inner Islamofacist, Yawn.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought he was talking to the president, personally.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

With civilized people, it works.

But since you guys know it all, why hasn't that just caught on in droves before? Because there's clearly another side, call it supported by 50 percent of the people, that says you're wrong. And about 30 percent of those in your camp are only there because the war isn't a quick-cut, Desert-Storm success. If you don't believe that, it isn't because there's not evidence. You're just in denial. Check out the polls in the early stages of the war. If you're capable.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Your sentence structures are torture.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yawn, I'm pretty sure most people don't torture in droves.

6. Poo-flinging idiots aside, this is what Clarence Thomas wrote in his dissent in the Hamdan case.
    "[T]he experience of our wars," Winthrop 839, is rife with evidence that establishes beyond any doubt that conspiracy to violate the laws of war is itself an offense cognizable before a law-of-war military commission. . . . . In [World War II], the orders establishing the jurisdiction of military commissions in various theaters of operation provided that conspiracy to violate the laws of war was a cognizable offense. See Letter, General Headquarters, United States Army Forces, Pacific (Sept. 24, 1945), Record in Yamashita v. Styer, O. T. 1945, No. 672, pp. 14, 16 (Exh. F) (Order respecting the "Regulations Governing the Trial of War Criminals" provided that "participation in a common plan or conspiracy to accomplish" various offenses against the law of war was cognizable before military commissions)."

You damn betcha, Clarence. Now go bust your boss.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

You obviously have a deep-rooted hatred that you need to deal with. Anything Bush just makes your life a living hell. To defend him or his actions is a repudiation of the nth degree to your deeply held psychopolitical beliefs. I thought you were over making things personal, but obviously I am wrong. That's really sad Fenian. And it must truly be a sad existence. Hug your kids, take your wife or significant other on a date. Catch the breeze on a spring day. Try to find something in life you enjoy, something that can cleanse the senses. You really do need it.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Another exhibit of proof I've hit a nerve. It goes beyond debate to off-the-subject insults.

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Believe me Yawn. You are so far beneath me that you could never hit a nerve.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the other hand, it's hard to debate someone when you don't know what the hell they are talking about.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What are the benefits of torture? How do you know if the information the suspect is giving you is reliable or if he's just telling you what he things you want to hear just so you'll stop torturing him?
    Is it really effective or does it just make some people feel better knowing we're making the bad guys suffer?
    If the latter is true, what does that say about us?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

99 percent of these enemies have no way of reaching the United States shore.

The other one percent we have to be viligant about not letting in.

No "eradication" is needed from 8,000 miles away, especially when we do not even know whom to eradicate. And especially if we do not even care about eradicating the leader of the enemies. You may have heard of him. Osama bin Laden.

Dominating the world . . . one cave at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.