1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torture: McCain vs. Mukasey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Torture might not work, but waterboarding did. Oh, and I guess instead of torture just popping a couple of slugs into an unarmed man's face is morally acceptable??? This "moral high ground" thing is quite vexing.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep, that long-standing tradition of certain families of holding hands with and kissing Saudi princes does get in the way of good judgment, from time to time.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it works and I am for it.

That said, John McCain has a unique insight to the matter because of what happened to him at the Hanoi Hilton. While I do not agree with him on this topic, I respect what he has to say about it a hell of a lot more than others who have spoken out against it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If you think it works, would you support it for domestic suspect interrogations (non-terrorists)? Only dangerous suspects like rapists, child molesters, murderers?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that go against Miranda rights?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Speeding tickets, jaywalking, public urination...

7. Dick Whitman

Yes. If you believe they exist, which is murky.

I guess what I am getting at is whether, were Miranda not an obstacle, there would be any support for domestic torture of dangerous suspects.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As is the case, so often (Nancy Reagan re stem cell research is another stellar example), people will frequently go against type when it suits their personal interests. It largely depends on whose ox is
    being gored.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

See Obama / Holder approving Bin Laden assassination.

10. Dick Whitman

Also, Boom, there is a public safety exception to Miranda if there is an imminent threat - like a gun in plain view of children or a criminal plot that is ongoing and ready to pop. (New York v. Quarles)

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

While certainly not a perfect individual, I have a lot of respect for McCain.

But, during the earlier debate on this subject, McCain said he would expect an interrogator to break the law & do what was necessary in a "ticking time bomb" scenario.

This tells me that McCain knows "torture" can work and that the law is unworkable in all situations.

I think McCain has a lot invested in the idea that "torture" doesn't work, but I don't think his own statements back up his beliefs.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Also, a lot of folks seem to justify killing bin Laden by saying, "he's Osama fucking bin Laden, of course we can shoot him dead."

Well, "he was Khalid fucking Sheikh Mohammed, of course we were justified in holding his nose and pouring some water in his mouth."

Water boarding was done to three people -- three. It was done with authorization from the lawyers at the Justice Department and under strict supervision.

So, if you're going to carve out a "bin Laden" exception for his killing, how do you say another President was not justified in carving out a "KSM" exception for waterboarding?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.