1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre to Sue Sheff for Slander

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Strong rumor out of the Bronx today that Garry Sheffield will be slapped with papers when he walks into Yankee Stadium.

Apparently Joe Torre has decided to procede with slander lawsuit against Sheff for his comments labeling Torre a racist.

Case will be tried in the Bronx Courthouse - behind centerfield.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thanks for the laugh Boom...

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Sheff didn't call Torre a racist.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He implied it.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

No, he said he didn't think Torre was a racist. The implication is fashioned by you because you want to hear it.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He said Torre treated blacks differently from whites. To me, that's an implication of racism.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I guess that will be for a jury to decide now. Sheff once again said yesterday that Torre favored White players over black players. The fact that Sheff did not back off his original comments is what convinced Joe to procede.

Torre wants to protect his good name and not lose potential multi million dollar endorsement deals.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if Ryan Zimmerman had said Frank Robinson favored black players over white players when he managed the Gnats, would Chee be defending Zimmerman? Hardly.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Not really. If anyone knows Sheff and his big ass mouth, he has zero problem calling someone a racist. What is he afraid about regarding Torre that he wasn't in calling out others? I think he needs to stop bytching about that treatment crap when he wasn't on the team long enough to get certain treatment. Other than that, he didn't call Torre a racist.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And I guess Torre's view on blacks is why Bernie Williams is out a job?

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

torre's view on blacks of Puerto Rican descent who can no longer hit is why Williams is out of a job ...

Draft saved Draft deleted