1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto mayor denying access to Toronto Star UPDATE: He's out!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HC, Dec 2, 2011.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't ever post in this forum, not being a journalist, but I'm curious to know if this has happened before? Our mayor (who's something of a freak show anyway) has issues with The Star and has frozen them out, giving the specific order that all official notices and pronouncements from his office not be provided to them.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1095141

I'll include this as well: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1095839--rob-ford-to-toronto-don-t-read-the-star?bn=1

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: Toronto mayor denying access to Toronto Star

He's a douchebag of the highest order. Him and his equally assholish brother.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

So do people in Toronto make Mayor Tommy Shanks jokes non-stop?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not in about thirty years.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We love John Candy. Ford is a douche. So no.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

ER & GR's high school (Richview CI) football team played against Ford's HS team a couple of times a year.

Richview used to beat the crap out of Fatso's team all the time (Yes, I know I'm not supposed to make "fat" jokes but I make an exception for our dimwitted asshole of a mayor).

On more than one occasion I watched Ford yell and scream at kids on the sideline so I don't not believe the Star's story.

However, if Mayor Fatso was so adamant about it, he shouldn't have dropped his libel suit.

I've said this before but former Clown Mayor Mel Lastman ("It's snowing! It's snowing! Bring in the army!) was friggin' Lester B. Pearson compared to our present
    embarrassment.

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Not a mayor, HC, but a few years ago, the governor of Maryland issued an executive order banning everyone in his administration from talking to a Baltimore Sun columnist and a beat reporter from the same paper.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Did they refuse to send them official notices, etc?

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

That I'm not sure of.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Ford's done a very poor job, but I can't blame him for hating The Star. That newspaper's been out to get him from the beginning. It's almost laughable.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And the Sun has been sucking him off from day one. They're politically polarized newspapers. But hate them or not, this is bullshit.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I only read The Sun. that's no surprise to you, is it? :)

As for Ford, I don't live in Toronto, but how did this guy get elected - convincingly - if nobody will admit voting for him?

Draft saved Draft deleted