1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten Driving Peeves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Maybe I missed this one, but I hate the people who slow down when they see a cop, NO MATTER WHAT SPEED THEY ARE DRIVING. If you're going within five mph of the speed limit, you don't need to slow down for the cop.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

How about the people who don't get over when you're getting off the on-ramp. There's no one in the far left lane but it's too much of an inconvenience for them to get over, so you either have to brake rapidly and duck in behind them or drive on the shoulder.

Also, there's an intersection in my town that is really busy, especially between 3 and 7 p.m. It has left-turn lights but doesn't go to a yield straight green. So if you miss the turn light, you're stuck there for another five minutes at least. I hate it when I'm trying to get into the lane to turn (and it's right down the street from where I work, so I'm always turning left at that intersection) and somebody has left a car length and a half in front of them and because of this, the lane is blocked off with cars. When you're stopped at an intersection, pull up close to the car in front of you. Don't leave a gap large enough for a semi to drive through.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I hate that one as well. Unless you're going more than ten miles above the speed limit there's no reason to slow down.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What bugs me is just general lack of intuition on the part of drivers. Few drivers read the traffic to try and anticipate their next move.

If you're going 70 and you need to pass two trucks that are 100 yards apart, there's no reason to go back into the right lane after passing the first one. Just stay in the left lane and pass them both. That kind of shit.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You mean it's not OK to spend $3,000 on your sound system (i.e., rolling bass machine) when the engine in your $300 junkpile is about to expire?

Where are your priorities?

It's almost no fun to embarrass those wannabe tuners ... almost. Then I downshift and put them in the rear-view mirror. :)

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Also, people who overreact to weather conditions are just as dangerous as those who are cocky about it.

Ice is not to be fucked with, but snow, especially if you're in a region that regularly gets it, can be driven on if you don't panic and don't try to over-drive it. Same for rain.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can't stand the drivers who, when they make a left turn, decide to move closer to the white line than the yellow line, thus making it impossible for drivers to pass on the shoulder.

When I'm turning left and there's a shoulder to my right for those to pass, I try to make an effort to get closer to the yellow line as to leave enough room for those people to pass me.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hitting the breaks, then using your turn signal at the last minute. The whole point of the turn signal is to warn those around you that you will be slowing down soon.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

People who cannot accept that they missed their exit.

Instead of going one freaking mile out of their way to the next exit, they will careen across 3-4 lanes at the last minute, causing any cars to their right to hit the brakes.

I also do not like those stoplights with sensors for the green arrow. In theory it's fine. If no car is sensed at the intersection, then no arrow is given, meaning cars on the other side of the street can cross immediately. But the sensor does not take into account the driver(s) who may be approaching the light just as the arrow should be coming on. And instead of those drivers getting the green arrow they deserve for their excellent timing, they are forced to sit through the entire cycle.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Or even better, those that back up along the shoulder to get back to the exit they just passed.

Morans.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

SUV drivers take the cake for being the biggest assholes when it snows--particularly the first snowfall.

Traffic conditions may dictate 60 or 70 kph but those jerks roar by doing 100.

And those are the ones that invariably end up in the ditch. And it makes my day to see it.

Of course, the other people who drive me crazy when the first snowfall hits are the timid ones who drive 40 kph when everyone else is doing 60kph.

If you can't drive in the snow, take public transit.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

11. Asians

Draft saved Draft deleted