1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten Driving Peeves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 4, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit.

Well played.

I'm amazed IJAG did not nail me on that one.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Mine is the opposite of No. 1. I'm in the right or middle lane, doing the speed limit when the left lane is open, yet some douche bag tailgates me until I move to the left and THEN he passes me. Pisses me off to no end. A close second is the idiots who don't move over to free up a lane when you're entering the expressway and No. 3 is the morons who don't speed up on the entrance to the expressway. They enter the expressway doing 35 mph and slowly speed up while cars zoom past and switch lanes to avoid an accident.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Other drivers. I know my own skills and abilities, it is other people who freak me out.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

1). People who don't understand who has the right of way in a rotary or get mad at you because you do understand it and don't like you holding them up.
    2). Indecisive drivers.
    3). People who veer into the next lane when I'm trying to pass them as a subtle reminder that they don't want me to pass them. If you don't want me to pass you, just say so.
    4). People who leave their turn signals on even when they have no intention of turning.
    5). People who honk at me because they don't like what I've done.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

For me, it's most definitely the idiots who don't understand the passing lane.

You sit behind an idiot going 50 in a 55 mph zone for about 32 miles, unable to pass.

You finally get to a passing lane, the guy doesn't move over. So you move over to pass in the right lane and he starts to gun it. Before you know it you're going 75 in a 55 in an attempt to pass this asshole.

You run out of room and have to settle back in behind the guy, who resumes his 50 mph stroll through the countryside.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I have many, many of these, and I could probably go on typing for about a half-hour if I was able to vent them all. I've given half-hearted thought to becoming a traffic cop when I get forced out of the business because most of the people in this area just have no idea how to drive.

My two biggest issues: Not using a turn signal at an intersection or when changing lanes, and the people who don't turn their lights on in the rain.

As for the original list, I have no problem with driving in the left lane, or the center lane of a three-lane highway, especially at night. That's mostly because I feel it's not necessary to be behind someone on the highway with your lights beating down their rear-view mirror if you're the only two cars on the road.

The parking issue bothers me, but that's rare in this area, and the lane-jumping on an exit ramp is a nuisance, but not letting that person in is a quick fix.

Oh, and I'll have no problem sitting at the stop line at a green light when making a left-hand turn, especially at a busy intersection. That's safer than moving into the intersection, having someone blow a yellow and then you have to make the left-hand turn well after your direction has turned red.

7. maberger

maberger Member

sorry to hear about your accident.

it never ceases to amaze me how, here in the land of the automobile. no one knows how to drive.
    they never move from the left lane.
    they never look at the road ahead to anticipate a problem.
    they have no sense of defensive driving.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

You see that stick on the side of the steering wheel?

The one called a blinker, turn signal, clicky?

That is used for when you choose to turn to an appropriate destination.

The fact that people choose not to use this particular device pisses me the fuck off.

My wife is frightened to ride with me, for fear I will go on a lunatic-like tourette's syndrome inducing tyrade aimed at 88-year old Euna pulling into the post office without signaling.

Sorry Euna.

Use the fucking clicker.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The only two that really bother me are tailgating and refusal to use a turn signal when it would change my decision making. (I could have turned 15 seconds ago if I'd known you were turning, etc.)

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The main intersection onto the highway nearest my house has a right-turn merge lane, and it absolutely infuriates me when people in front of me go to make a right turn onto this highway and come to a dead stop in the merge lane waiting for an opening in the traffic lanes.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The slow thing frustrates me to no end. Seems like everyone in my burg likes to go 10 below the speed limit. It's not an easy place to get around. Lots of travel on small roads and side streets. I don't speed, but I generally go the speed limit or maybe a couple over. When you go 25 in the 35 zone, it just backs traffic up and pisses people off.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

There's not really any reason to let the car warm up for more than about 30 seconds. The lengthy warm-up recommendation is from back in the day when the car actually needed to warm up so it would run properly; unless you're driving an old car it doesn't need it.

Draft saved Draft deleted