1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten Driving Peeves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 4, 2009.

1. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

And I hate, hate, hate people who go around cars and weave through traffic so they keep moving down the road. And usually they don't signal!

Also, the other day, I saw someone who kept drifting into the other lane. I passed the vehicle and realized the driver was talking on his cell phone. It's banned in our state, but I see it all the time. Some people are talented at talking while driving; most are not. Hang the fuck up, or get a Bluetooth.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

- Failing to signal that you are turning because one hand is to your ear gabbing on a phone.

- People who drive through my lane when they are turning left onto my street, and I am turning left onto their street. It's lazy to make a big rounded turn instead of a good sharp turn where your tires will not come 10 feet on my side of the stop line.

The reason most of the time? Only one hand on the wheel and one hand to their ear.

- People who roll a stop to get in front of me and then drive slower than the speed limit.

- People text massaging.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, he's saying it's more harmful to leave it running, but that you shouldn't do either.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have heard one minute is the over/under on turning the car off.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So you should just start it up and go, even if it's a zillion below zero? That goes against everything I was ever taught.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What I stick down my pants while driving is none of your damn business. :D

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm with you on both of those. I love bottling in somebody weaving through traffic like he's a NASCAR driver.

As for the angle-parking douches, I used to pull in next to them. Especially when I drove a beat-up, mud-covered Cherokee. I like the dichotomy of my rig being next to their Fast and the Furious wannabe car.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My biggest pet peeve is the dipshits in this area who think it's perfectly okay to use the shoulder as an extended passing lane, DESPITE SIGNS TO THE CONTRARY. I've seen the fucktards blocking in emergency vehicles because they couldn't wait 20 seconds for the traffic to move up so they can properly turn. I see it all the time.

My other one...apparently they left out the page on proper identification of parking spaces here in Kentucky's driving manuals because no one can do it either, so they just park wherever the hell they want. No, that means you're blocking me in and I should have every right to take off your bumper for being an idiot and not parking properly or IN AN ACTUAL SPACE.

And as for the idling thing...I'm one of those people that when I get out of my car, no matter where I am, I roll up my windows, lock my doors, put valuables (iPod, cell phone) in my purse and take them with me. I saw a pair of guys at Wal-Mart last night leave their car running with the windows down as they ran into the store. Um.....I would never do this. EVER. Turn your fucking car off. Is it that hard?

I've also walked out to get in my car at my apartment complex and someone had pulled up into the driving lane, turned off the car and just left it there. In the driving lane. Blocking in three cars who were sitting there who may have wanted to get out. He FINALLY came out and I ripped into him so thoroughly that I don't think he'll ever do it again.

Bottom line, think with your brains people when you drive. And try to be this crazy thing called courteous to your fellow drivers.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My car was totaled in November because some idiot thought it was OK to use the shoulder as a passing lane. What he didn't see quick enough was that someone had pulled over to the shoulder because he had a flat tire. The idiot happened to be directly next to me when he finally saw it and tried to get over. He hit the bumper of the guy on the shoulder and then slammed my car into the one next to me.

It was a four car accident caused because he couldn't show some patience. It was on the 101 in LA and most of the traffic was going 55-60, which anyone who's driven out there knows is a godsend if the traffic is flowing at that pace. This guy felt the need to push the issue and try to go 70-75 on the shoulder to pass.

Oh, and the best part was when he got out of the car and asked the rest of us what happened. Thankfully, a witness who saw the whole thing pulled over and was more than happy to tell the police that it was this moron's fault.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My pet peeve: Slow drivers.

I'm not talking about driving slow in bad weather conditions or anything like that. I'm talking about the people who drive 35 miles an hour in a 55 zone on a perfect sunny day.

Here's a hint people. If you see a line of five or six cars behind you, maybe you are going just a little bit too slow. Do us a favor, and safely pull off to the side, so the rest of us can actually get to where we want to go.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I hate people who love to camp out in your blind spot. Everybody knows about where that is. Don't fucking linger there.

Those who keep turning left when an arrow goes to a straight signal. This one's personal, because the worst wreck I was in happened when a dude tried to beat me through an intersection. But more than that, the lack of an arrow isn't an automatic invitation to keep turning.

People who cut randomly through parking lots, not paying attention to anyone or anything.

12. trademark

trademark New Member

Gotta disagree with that one. I know which lights in my town I won't be able to get through (many of them are utterly hopeless until one has the arrow), and I won't pull out into the intersection of those until I can actually complete the turn.

My own addition: Dual turn lanes onto a single on-ramp. People don't seem to understand that if they're in the outside lane they need to merge twice--once into the inside lane and again onto the highway proper. The vast majority simply hug the far side of the lane, oblivious to all until they've merged by default. Countless times I've had someone right next to me--sharing my lane--because they couldn't be bothered to speed up and take the gap I always leave in front.

Draft saved Draft deleted