1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top sports writers to follow on Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JCT89, Mar 28, 2012.

1. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Saw this story in the International Business Times getting a ton of play yesterday on Twitter. The list had the Top 50 sports writers you should follow on Twitter and included a few regularly discussed writers on SportsJournalists.com such as Jones, Whitlock, and Doyel.

Here's the link to the list: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/320315/20120327/sports-writers-follow-twitter.htm

Two questions for my fellow SJers

1- What do you think of the list? Who would you add/delete?

2- Is it egotistical to tweet/retweet a list that has you on it?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

1. Subjective, but that's a pretty good list. Two worked on my team at FanHouse, so I'm biased

2. No. Well, yeah actually. A little. So what? Retweet it anyway

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Someone already bitched on Twitter that the list had only two female writers.

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Decent list. Went for some of the low-hanging fruit, and I wish they would have left off a couple people who are not at all good to follow unless you enjoy being annoyed to no end (i.e. Whitlock, Rovell). They also included quite a few people who are not sports writers (i.e. Bilas, Beadle, Van Pelt). But it's a pretty good list.

Of course you should RT it if you're on it. A big reason for a writer to be on Twitter is to build a following and (plug your ears, purists) build a brand.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My problem with guys like "sportsbybrooks" is he too often seems to be talking to nobody and the tone of all of his tweets seems to be "look at me, look at me, please, please, look at me, I really am relevant, I swear"

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Follow Clay Travis. He's hilarious and absurd. Makes for great tweeting. He can get annoying, but 8 times out of 10, he's funny.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Adam Schefter is great.

Michael C. Wright (ESPN Chicago) does a great job.

Mike Klis was tremendous during the whole Manning signing and Tebow trade.

I hate writers who tweet play-by-play.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Do not follow me, then. If I'm at a preps game, I'm likely tweeting for the world to know who is winning the East Podunk/West Podunk girl's softball game.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The best is if you follow a bunch of guys from the same market and they are all covering something - that happens to be on TV - and they insist on giving you everything that happened so that, for instance, a goal is scored, you get 75 tweets in a row that a goal was scored, then who scored it, then who set it up, then where it fits in the context of the game.......

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Simple rule -- if the game's on TV, don't tweet play-by-play. I cover an FCS football team that is seldom on TV, so my followers appreciate (or say they do) all the updates.

Of course if it's a tight game in the fourth quarter and deadline is on the horizon, then they're not getting much of anything. But they seem to understand that.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if it's preps or small colleges that aren't on TV I can understand play-by-play.

But there are NFL writers who do it and it's just stupid.

12. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

I don't want play-by-play from Twitter - I want context. Guy is having a big game, how close is he to his season-high or career-high? Is someone closing in on a milestone? Stuff like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted