1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top ranked press boxes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micke77, Jan 12, 2009.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Well, this did have the potential to be an interesting thread.

...Really?

2. micke77

micke77 Member

god bless Jones Ramsey is right. what a great guy.
    and Paul Manasseh when he was at LSU, Louisiana Tech, among other stops. a real pro. he would turn over in his grave seeing some of the "fans at the press conference" crap some of us put up with.
    man, i need to check Wake Forest's press box. sounds like a dream.
    you mean they consulted with the media? rare, rare indeed. usually schools construct the coops and to hell with what all of us think. good to hear that.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Didn't Notre Dame win this SportsJournalists.com competition a long time ago on the basis of their hot dogs?

4. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Texas A&M's box is extremely high. You can damn near see Houston. And when they start swaying, you start swaying.
    Has anyone ever to been to Rice Stadium in Houston? Absolutely massive press box and huge stadium (70,000) for a school that has like 3,000 undergrads. I hear they used to fill it up in the 1960s, though. And Rice did host Super Bowl VIII

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

From wiki...

In 2006, the end zones seats were covered with tarps, reducing seating capacity to 47,000, in part because the stadium had not sold out for a college football game since the early 1960s (the average attendance for Rice football games in Rice Stadium in 2007 was 13,353).[3]. However, it can easily be reconfigured to its original capacity.

Also Houston played college ball there and the Oilers played there in the 60s as well.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Which always struck me as funny, since the stadium is across a small street from some of the most expensive houses in town. I can't imagine those folks putting up with the drunk circus nowadays.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

East Podunk has some nice pork chop sandwiches.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Press Box at a Texas HS game I covered had wifi, jumbotron had replays, food included a BBQ buffett and post-game pizza and unlimited access to popcorn and soda ... better hospitality than the Rangers or the Desperadoes.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

the local 5-a prep team i cover has a buffet meal set up, there are four or five phones available for use, halftime and final game statistics provided and they are working on getting wireless hookups. visiting coaches and media freak out. the press box is as good as some jucos. but texas preps, that's another world. covered two games at longview high in east texas and their accommodations were first class and the envy of some lower DI universities.

Draft saved Draft deleted