1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top NFL broadcasters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MCEchan36, Dec 1, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm watching the fucking game; I don't need Greg Gumbel to tell me "this side." He adds nothing. Zero. Put he and Jack Buck in a blender and pour the contents down the garbage disposal, never to bother humankind again.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I think you mean Joe Buck. Jack Buck was a great football announcer. He and Hank Stram formed a great team on the radio before Buck retired and Marv Albert took over the Monday night/Super Bowl team.

3. moonlight

moonlight Member

There's nobody worse than Chris Collinsworth.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I haven't read it yet, but does this mean Simmons will soon be discussing wine?

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

tommyp, Nantz wanted to call games again and was tired of being in the studios. So that switched little brother Gumbel from the #1 team to the studio and Nantz from the studio to the #1 team.

Anyone who mentions Gus Johnson needs to be executed. Yes you Bill Simmons. Also, that pic of Summerall made me feel bad for him. That doesn't do him justice.

I can only speak for the thirty years I've been alive, but here is my short list:

-Jack Buck and Hank Stram on MNF radio. I never knew who were they were until I started listening to them. I quit watching the games on t.v., just to listen to them before I went bed. I schooled my classmates on what a Cover 2 was on Tuesday mornings.

-Marv and Boomer on MNF radio. Marv calls the game and can dish it out with Boomer. Boomer may sound like a cocky sumbitch on television, but unleash him on radio, and no one is immune to his scathing comments and observations.

-Enberg and Dierdorf, CBS. That made no sense to break these two up. Enberg isn't comparing every quarterback to Bob Griese (thank god!) and still has game. Dierdorf is someone I love to hate, 'cause he evens out the happy talk of Dick.

-Joe Buck and Aikman, FOX. Aikman is the only reason I'll watch Buck. Troy sticks to the game. Joe thinks Leon is in the booth and wants to "profile."

-Nessler/Jaws/Vermeil: we need more of them. We'll see them hopefully during Wild Card Weekend.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

You're right. Jack Buck was quite good. Joe, not so much. My typing was blinded by vitrol, I guess.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NBC has the Saturday wild-card games, none on ABC/ESPN.

8. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Simmons did nail it this week, concerning play by play guys (Buck, Michaels) interjecting their opinions/observations into the game viewing. His Pat Summeral (he catches the kickoff........touchdown) was a great dig.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

And it was still an upgrade over Mike Patrick.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn! If Al and John get one Wild Card, who's getting the other one? Al Trautwig or Tom Hammond?

11. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

I actually like the combination of Buck and Aikman, and I think Phil Simms has done a nice job on CBS.

Not a fan of the Monday Night Football booth, though. I especially dislike when they bring in celebrities and waste time talking to them instead of concentrating on the game.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What's bottom of the pile at CBS - Jesse Palmer and whoever he's working with, or the sorry team of Matt Vasgersian and JC Pearson we got stuck with Sunday for Pats-Lions? Not to mention the production team that gave Pats DB Artrell Hawkins doing his voiceover on upcoming games while we missed a play, and didn't notice until midway through the fourth quarter that Laurence Maroney never came back after being injured on the Pats' second possession of the game.
    IIRC, Vasgersian was last seen in a football booth calling XFL games. JR and the King fared better

Draft saved Draft deleted