1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top news stories of 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There were thousands of murders. What made that one unique? I thought it got far more national coverage than warranted.

2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I'd hate giving that psychopath credit (in the list) for what he did last week.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe Hurricane Sandy should move higher on the list than the shootings because it affected far more people.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know that I put two shootings in there. Maybe combine them as one. Or leave in Sandy Hook, because this is the first one that's really having some policy implications.

I won't put the fiscal cliff in because it's likely to be solved. Of course, if it isn't, then that's the No. 1 story of 2013.

I might include Petraus' resignation. And marriage equality. This was the year Don't Ask/Don't Tell was scrapped (good for the two boys from my son's high school JROTC who are dating each other), and every state that put it up for a vote passed it.

There are some other great ideas here. The death of table saw safety bill proves the National Table Saw Association is throwing its weight around, as usual:

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/Woodworkings-Top-News-Stories-of-2012--184275791.html

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Please tell me that is not legit.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree with Bob Cook, I'd say combine the shootings and maybe add a reference to last week's shooting at a mall in Oregon since combined the shootings show various types of places (movie theater, mall and elementary school) weren't safe.

7. Devin

Devin Member

If this story hadn't received national attention, Zimmerman more than likely would not have been charged with second-degree murder due his actions that night.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

1.) Obama defeats Romney, Republicans completely fall apart in the immediate aftermath
    2.) High-profile public shootings spark gun control debate (Newtown, mall, movie theater)
    3.) Hurricane Sandy demolishes NY/NJ
    4.) Supreme Court upholds Affordable Care Act
    5.) Gay Marriage inches closer to adoption as DADT is struck down, Prop 8 debated, Supreme Court to hear it in 2013
    6.) Economy in US remains on the brink though some signs point toward improvement
    7.) Everything goes to shit in Libya/Syria
    8.) Unions/Unionized workers across the country find themselves in a dog fight with their corporate overlords (Walmart, Hostess, Wisconsin workers)
    9.) Fiscal cliff debate, overall gridlock in Congress prevents much of anything from getting done
    10.) NFL takes a PR hit with bounty scandal/player safety issues/deaths.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd link Hurricane Sandy and the Midwest drought as the year climate change cleared its throat and began to speak loudly.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Mars Lander will find something that will put it on this list.

Draft saved Draft deleted