1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top MLB beat writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Franchise, Apr 14, 2006.

1. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

Who are some of the guys/gals considered the top MLB beat writers and where can I read them?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Buster Olney is probably the consensus No. 1.

Since he covers the only sports team I care about as a fan, I read Barry Svrluga religiously in the Washington Post. Now, I've known Barry a while and like him a lot personally so I'm quite biased here. But I think he's very, very, very good.

Dave Sheinin does excellent baseball work in the Post, too.

Lou love Dan Shaughnessy :D

Others? Chime in please.

3. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Hal McCoy, period.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Damn straight.

5. Hal McCoy is in a category by himself.

I think Chris Snow will be very good too.

I'm not a big fan of Olney - I think Verducci is better but then again - neither of these guys is a "beat" guy.

BTW - my problem with Olney is that he still bleeds pinstripes. Yankee fans probably have the reverse problem with Gammons.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Larry LaRue, Tacoma News Tribune

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I'm still partial to Bob Dutton at the KC Star, and am growing to enjoy the NY Times' Tyler Kepner and Ben Shpigel the more I read them. Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News will always be a favorite, as will the Cleveland PD's Paul Hoynes (for sentimental reasons, more than anything else).

8. JuneBug1

JuneBug1 Member

Agreed. Hal McCoy in Dayton -- end of thread.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No love for John Lowe? A man who walked into the Anchor Bar in downtown Detroit and asked to see the wine list?

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Let's not forget Jorge Arangure at The Washington Post.

I prefer his Orioles gamers to what The Sun puts out. You would think The Sun's three-headed trio would be able to outdo one guy, but...

11. Larry LaRue would always go into AOL chatrooms during games in the '90s and type "Greetings from the Kingdome!" before trying to be the expert to all these teenage chat turds who were arguing over who "rules" and who "sucks"

Not sure if he quit that or not. My buddy and I found it amusing.

12. JME

JME Member

I second moddy and mizzou on Svrluga, tremendous.

Draft saved Draft deleted