1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top J-schools and a pressing question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Q Man, Jul 15, 2006.

1. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Two things I need help with today folks. All contributions appreciated.
    Does anyone know where I can find a listing of the top J-schools. I know E&P used to have one, but I just finished canvassing their site and can't find any mention of it. If anyone has it or knows where to find it, would you please post it.
    Second, one of the high schoolers I cover e-mailed me last night. He's being recruited by my alma mater (Eastern Illinois) to play baseball. Wants to know some general pro/con things about the school as a whole and my thoughts on the Journalism Dept. because he wants to go into Journalism.
    My problem isn't with EIU. As I told him, I have nothing but good things to say about my six years on campus (I know, I know). My dilemma is, how do I explain to him all the turbulence in the industry right now? Is it even smart for someone to be majoring in journalism right now?

2. bdh02

bdh02 Member

I say just tell him to go into it with an open mind. I'm pretty sure an overwhelming majority of college students change their major at least once during their college careers. Tell him what he wants to know, maybe a brief overview of the business and tell him to have a good time and contact you if he has any questions. If things don't look good, odds are he'll notice that he needs to get out. And who knows, he could be a future Pulitzer winner.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I believe U.S. News & World Report does an annual listing of colleges... not sure if it focuses on j-schools or not.

Or, just take a consensus of what people in the biz consider the top 20, knock off the first 10, and you've got your list of the truly good ones.

4. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Thanks folks. I appreciate it.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I remember my high school advisor having a book called Gourmans or Gormans or something similar that ranked schools on a ton of subjects, journalism included. Have no idea where to get it though. That wasn't too long ago, and I know Mizzou, Northwestern, UNC-Chapel Hill, Florida, Southern Cal, Penn St. and others were there. Kansas and Nebraska have good schools, too.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ohio University. Best damned school in the country, well in the Top 10 at any rate.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Lots of unbiased opinions here.

8. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

found the link for those rankings

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/college_rankings/gourman_report.htm

or at least where to buy them . . . hopefully this information was unbiased enough

9. I've worked with plenty of Northwestern grads, and they are always top-notch. Hungry, talented and motivated.

Conversely, I've worked with plenty of Mizzou grads, and it seems they always want to tell me that they're from Mizzou.

you know, the "Best Journalism School in America."

Then they slack off and remind you that they're from MIzzou.

IMHO, keep your Mizzou grads. Give me Northwestern any time. Every time.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Now how would we know that without seeing the information?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think he thought you'd buy it and share it with the rest of us penniless sports guys.

12. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Again, thanks for the info.
    I basically told the kid to go into this thing with his eyes and ears open and to pick a minor that can quickly be turned into a major he would enjoy if things continue to look dismal for the newspaper industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted