1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Tejas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The first two women in those couples were sisters and Schlegels. Their father sold the family company - Pavestone - for more than $500 million not long ago. Their weddings were insanely over the top. The entire Dallas Symphony Orchestra played at one reception.

Their brother Kirby owns the Tacoma Rainiers MiLB team and a minor league hockey team in Texas.

Also, the chefs are staying at the W Dallas Victory. Where Kirby owns half of the 29th floor and third sister has the other half. And Colicchio's Dallas branch of Craft is located there as well.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The wife was asking if there's a Dallas Housewives coming up -- and is this the cast?

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I watched last night, and knew Chuy was going for the reason you said SF... I thought the quickfire was too contrived... They definitely had things in those survival kits that most people would never have had.

At least the last chance winner was determined by cooking and not butchering. How long does the last chance kitchen go before that person comes back? Are they going to bring them back for just the final? Or earlier? Anyone know?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it's just for the final, from what the videos say. They say they have to beat EVERY other eliminated chef. And I forget, but they used a number and I think it was everyone but the final two.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A lot of folks in Highland Park are asking the same thing today.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

As a group they were among the least-likeable people I've ever seen grace a TV screen. Vapid idiots.

7. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I was thinking the same thing. Why do these chefs turn up their noses to anything that's not souffle'd, sauteed or sous vide? When the husband said he likes gummy bears, you'd a thought Ed heard him say he likes eating dog poop.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I just caught up. How horrid it was for Padma to call out the losing team in public like that and make them troop from the bleachers to cook. And yes, those cigars were gross. I shudder to think what Chris would have designed if he would have glimpsed the area where the beloved family dog is trained to be house-broken. And those couples they did the cooking for should be impetus enough for the Occupy movement to dig in.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wish they would have combined the challenges, and had all those high-brow, living-off-daddy's-money assholes be forced to eat food in a field prepared from a survival kit in 30 minutes. Those reactions to the little princesses and their princess husbands being forced to eat cracker sandwiches and soup with Vienna sausages would have been must-see TV.

I'm wondering if this show is running on fumes for ideas. I understand the need to be versatile, but you've got a challenge where you put them in a field and make them cook with all canned and dried ingredients on a campfire stove. Then in any other episode, you'll see a chef make something that is criticized as "one note" or "flat", and the guest judge will say, "Come on! This is TOP CHEF!"

What do you want? McGuyver in a chef's coat, or a fine-dining experience? I don't buy the entertainment value (or the choosing of the best chef) by putting these people in the most uncomfortable situations possible.

10. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I'm already tired of the woman who cries all the time. The kicker was when she cried at the rodeo because her husband wasn't there to share the moment with her.. Puh-leeze.

I like Last Chance Kitchen, including the reactions to the chefs who get another shot at it. Tom runs it pretty well and does a good job of telling the loser to scram. Nice addition to the show.

And I think this is shaping up to be an enjoyable season. Some chefs to root for and against, though it will be easier when a few more are cleared out.

And the rich bitches from Dallas were a hoot. That's authentic Texas.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I watched this week's episode with remote in hand, speeding past all the hoity-toity crap. Since I didn't see much of the episode, I can't really comment on the elimination other than I thought Chuy would go a lot further. I had him tabbed as a contender.

If there really is a Housewives of Dallas show and that was the cast, I may swear off Top Chef forever. I deal with the cross-promotion, even though it bugs the shit out of me, but that could be the proverbial final straw.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, I just watched Last Chance Kitchen. I wish both Keith and Chuy would have been eliminated just for how baldly they were pimping the Toyota minivan they were in. The product placements seem to be more blatant this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted