1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Tejas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And it sounds like he's a guy who has a pretty strong seafood background, with a restaurant on the water in North Carolina and everything. Crap, I'm about the most inexperienced seafood cook in the history of the world, and I know to steer clear of frozen seafood. He should definitely know better.

But that being said ... no one used the frozen, pre-cooked shrimp, right? If the judges are going to base their decisions on what was put on the plate in front of them, and they weren't served the frozen, pre-cooked shrimp, then should he be sent home for buying them?

My other question was about the Quickfire, when Padma told them about the challenge, then said at the end of the explainer, "We better see some motherf***ing snake on the motherf***ing plate", or whatever the exact wording was. Is that a saying in Texas or something? Seemed very much out of left field.

2. dieditor

dieditor Member

I thought she was making a Sam Jackson Snakes on a Plane reference..."Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!"

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now, if she drops a reference to Brad Renfro being good in The Client, we'll know for sure she surfs sj.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I thought Padma looked especially hot last night.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

wow... you can tell is was a holiday weekend and a lot of people must have this show on DVR.... Can't believe it's Friday night and it's the first comment on the third episode.

Liked the quickfire. Thought the various degrees of peppers paying different amounts showed a lot about the chefs. Give me someone who takes a chance over Miss PlayItSafe.

The main challenge... Didn't need to make it so difficult by cooking at home with that many people in the house. Liked the twist as opposed to the ordinary judge's table.

Online only... From Tom's comments I thought they were pretty even. Totally different styles.

Notice... no spoilers here.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Loved everything about this week's episode. Agree with Matt on the Quickfire, but I thought the "cooking in the house" was a good twist on things. If they only had 1 burner to work with and share, it would be unfair to some, but with several outside options, it seemed every team had a spot and was able to turn out something good.

The challenge to cook chili, which has so many different variations and options, was a great one. I also liked the second chance they gave the losers (hope that isn't a spoiler). How many times on that show do you hear the chefs say something along the lines of, "If I had it to do over again ..."? Well, there's your chance.

It was cool to see Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken (sp on both?), because their show back in the day on the Food Network was one of my favorites. And their restaurant at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas is a phenomenal lunch spot.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I still have a TV crush on Mary Sue Milliken.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I think she's one of the most beautiful women ever, but she's gotten a bit too skinny.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I DID have it on my DVR and finally watched it last night/this morning. Loved the episode, but there are still too many people for me to really keep them straight, and the groups always confuse me because of that.

I just laughed at how every team was like "we'll be up all night and not sleep" and then the losing team was shown with finished chili WAY before everyone else.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, no excuses here, just flat forgot.

Caught up online, and then watched the online challenge with Keith.

I'm surprised they broke up the Chicago twins already.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I haven't watched any of the Last Chance Kitchens. Maybe I'll start.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Why I'm detecting less buzz this season than any of the previous? This was certainly far down on this board this morning.

My thought when they brought the four worst guys up last night was that any one of the four -- the two Chrises, Ty-Lor and Chuy -- would have been among the most interesting to watchers throughout the season. So somebody good was going to be gone, and I figured it would be Chuy. Another standard kiss of death: overcooked fish.

There's a little bitchiness factor going on, no real male-male conflicts yet that I can see.

Draft saved Draft deleted