1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef Tejas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Risotto has often been deadly to Top Chef contestants, and tonight was no exception. In this case, it was the risotto that a chef didn't get plated. Yep, the dude brought out three empty bowls to the judges. Needless to say he got the quick boot. Ended up with six chefs on the bubble for two spots. And I love the concept of the online-only Last Chance Kitchen, which is kinda like the PBA stepladder finals writ large. The last two chefs eliminated tonight had a cookoff to determine who would be left to take on the next chef to be eliminated, and so on. So the person who won tonight's Last Chance will probably have to win numerous head-to-heads to re-enter the main competition (they didn't say at what point the last Last Chance winner will enter the main field again)

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't like the format change.
    And the two people I was rooting for on the bubble did terrible.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Me neither. Too many people and since I don't know much about them, it's hard to really care.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Hugh has a ton of personality, but he didn't show much of it last night.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First, overcooked shrimp/seafood is the same kiss of death as oversalting.

And second, the bubble cookoff was tough because I liked pretty much all of them.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Two best lines were when chefs were introducing themselves.

One dude gives his credentials, and then says, "and I'm a culinary artist." (This was the same dude who already compared himself to Richard Blais and Michael Michael Voltaggio, two of the best chefs to ever compete on the show.) So, the next girl gives her modest credentials and then says, "and also a culinary artist," just to mock the first guy. Tom smirked and looked like he could barely keep from laughing.

Last night, everybody is mentioning their James Beard and Food & Wine nominations, so the one guy says, "and I was nominated by my mother as one of her two favorite sons."

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I was hoping the Korean guy (don't know all the names yet, apologies) would get eliminated in the bubble cookoff, simply for the fact that the little thing he does with his jaw when he's talking bugs the shit out of me. Other than that, he's probably an excellent cook. LMAO

It seems like it could be an interesting season.

8. dieditor

dieditor Member

I was hoping he'd get eliminated too, but mainly because I thought he seemed like an ass with his "I'm better than all these other people" type comments.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I did pick up on the arrogant attitude, but I couldn't get past his jaw tweaking.

On a related note, I did think it was extremely funny that the cocky dude got quickly sent home for butchering his butchering. LOL

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I still never understand why people don't prepare better for this show.

Practice butchering. It always comes up.

Have a couple of desserts up your sleeve. "I'm not a pastry chef," isn't going to cut it.

Be prepared for a vegetarian/vegan challenge.

Etc.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

He showed a ton of his personality last night, and it screamed "I'm a douche!"

His overexaggerated facial expressions and over-the-top reaction to the food almost looked like he was trying to be a parody of someone. He acted like using buying pre-cooked shrimp and flour tortillas were offenses on par with raping a boy in the shower.

I also wonder what happened to the makeup people at Bravo. You'd think one of them might say something to him about the horrible unibrow he's got working.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

He's had it for years. It's kind of his thing, for whatever reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted