1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Chef NYC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Starts tonight. Who's watching with me?

And please answer this, doesn't have to be today but at some point during the season:

Do you hold a fork like this:
    [​IMG],

or like this:
    [​IMG]

I was tines up until I started watching Top Chef, where they always go tines down. Now I don't know what to do. I fear I was raised wrong (or in the midwest).

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm pretty much always tines down, but I do sometimes flip back and forth depending on what I'm eating.

As to the show, yeah, I'm interested.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I've noticed how Tom C holds his.

Here's a link to the cast

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/5/best_of/index.php

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The first one. The second just looks weird.
    And, yeah, I am ready for tonight.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm a tines down girl. I'll be watching with you.

Spike, from last season's TC, opened a gourmet burger restaurant in DC over the summer (that's the food trend here, for some reason). I stopped in to check out the menu awhile back and Spike was manning the grill. Had the hat on and everything.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I've also gotten the impression that tines up is American and tines down is European.
    I flip-flop, depending on what I'm eating

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Who gives a fork? :D

I saw the teaser on Bravo while watching Inside the Actors Studio on Monday and I was very excited. Can't wait for tonight.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm really conflicted over the fork thing.

Proper etiquette, it turns out, demands tines down if you're also holding a knife, tines up if you just have a fork. But if no one really knows that, do you risk looking like a schmuck who can't hold a fork?

I guess tines down makes more sense, so you can stab the food, instead of scooping it. Annoying.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm so looking forward to tonight's show. Been watching TC since season 1 when a co-worker got me hooked on it. Wednesdays will be super fun for me, got the Ultimate Fighter and Top Chef in the same night, my TiVo will be working OT.

Oh, and what's a fork?

[​IMG]

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Tines up usually, but depends on what I'm eating.

And I'm so glad I saw this thread, because I was convinced it started next week for some reason. Thanks for helping me not miss the premiere, 21! :)

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm tines up. Tines down looks weird. But I had noticed that on the show.

I refuse to bend to their hoity-toity eating habits!!!!

12. Ditto

Draft saved Draft deleted