1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 teenage/high school movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cougargirl, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Great thread, my favorite genre of movies.

Agree with the Breakfast Club/Fast Times combo. Also agree that Varsity Blues, The Outsiders, One Crazy Summer and Better Off Dead need to be on there. Maybe that's just my 80s/90s bias talking.

I think Thirteen should be on that list, but it's not specifically high school, so I guess not. Same with Welcome to the Dollhouse.

Election was a great movie. Story of my high school years, minus the sleeping-with-the-teacher part.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I've seen 22 of those films. I add my kudos for Election. Reese Witherspoon is the dictionary definition of passive/aggressive. And Clueless was a movie I enjoyed a lot, but face it, it was people supposedly 16 acting 26 or 36.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I was seven when Fast Times came out. It's a great movie. It's more realistic and interesting than most teen mpovies, because there's no artificial plotline about "coming of age" or any bullcrap. It's like high school was: a series of days that you just try to get through and before you know it, it's over.

The book was excellent as well.

I still chuckle at the failed TV series, that had Patrick Dempsey as Mike Damone and CSI dude as Mark Ratner.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Blackboard Jungle.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

No Footloose?! What the hell??!

As for Breakfast Club, I loved it, but in a cheesy way. It resonates far less with me now than it did 20 years ago. I like Hughes, but he got more paint-by-numbers with every movie. To me, everything ends too neatly and safely in Breakfast Club. He dipped his toes in some dangerous territory with the group therapy scene, but then things ended in too tidy a fashion for me.

Heathers is no. 1 on my list and it laps the field. that movie, I can still watchd 15 years after high school and remember how achingly familiar it was/is. Nothing will ever top that movie.

Fast Times is a clear no. 2. That the entire movie centers around a mall, to me, makes it a timeless classic. And as junkie said, the soundtrack is several degrees beyond awesome.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I guess you probably would want to see that one on there. :D

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

THAT'S the movie I remember seeing in a college class that I was going to mention, except that I couldn't remember what it was called. A definite top 20 film.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

And what the fuck?! No Red Dawn?

Buncha high school kids save us from those red commie bastards and they can't even land on the top 50 teen movies of all-time?! Without those heroes we'd be speaking Russian!!

(Can't believe I beat Hoops to this) :D

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

WOLVERINES!

10. dooley_womack1

IJAG already loves you. No need to keep trying.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, he definitely needs to keep trying. The Billy Squier thing is a big roadblock.

12. dooley_womack1

It assures him he's not the wimpiest guy around.

Draft saved Draft deleted