1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 sportscasters in history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Packer & McGuire and Brookshire & Summeral were better, it's not youth, it's demographics. Today the games are called as a form of entertainment, back then they were called for information and were directed more narrowly at the sports fan who had an interest in the game and a pre-existing basis of knowledge.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Always a classic.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Still has his voice appear at the very beginning in the intro to HNIC.

4. Great grab, GB.
    And pancamo, who won the final tally, do you think?
    I'm saying Brookshier, but a close call.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Never liked Packer growing up. Was a big fan of Al and always thought Packer believed he was a basketball genius and Al bothered him.

Brookshire always won the contest only because Pat had to know more than a QB or a RB's jersey.

Do you think OJ's recent jail sentence kept him off the list?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Verne should have been higher. Same with Mussberger and Cossell.
    ONIONS!

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If you liked that, you may find this interesting. CBC radio archived interview with Hewitt from 1978.

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/clips/2048/

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think his previous legal problems, despite an acquittal, kept him off the list.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Foster Hewitt was the FIRST hockey play by play guy and the man who invented the phrase"He shoots, he scores", the sports version of "Let there be light".

Danny Gallivan, the long time Canadiens English language announcer, belongs on that list.

Tony Kubek is way too low. He was one of the few colour guys who routinely called someone out, be it a player, manager or owner. One of the last pro-union guys in the game. Covered Jays games for a number of years.

10. Who was les Habs old announcer en francais back in the 1960's?
    I used to listen to games on my transistor and try to pick up the lingo.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hear, hear.

Whoever voted for Morgan should have their voting rights taken away. Or be incarcerated. Or both.

There's not a list in the world, on any topic, where Dick Enberg and Jack Buck should be behind Al Michaels.

Charlie Jones should make the top 50. As should Lundquist.

Summerall is severely undervalued at 45. Would also move up Stockton, Musberger and Kalas.

Would move Cosell way down. I know many feel he was groundbreaking, and it's hard to argue that point, but he was the first of the breed of the talking head being bigger than the game itself.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Keith Jackson is top 5 and how the fuck did some of these guys get on here and there is no Dave Niehaus, I know 80 percent of the people outside of Seattle have no idea that Seattle exists but, come on, Niehaus is great. At least give him an honorable mention.

Draft saved Draft deleted