1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 sportscasters in history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Also, I realize he was cuddly and beloved, but my memory is that Phil Rizzutto was a god-awful announcer.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Jesus!

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

But they are both awful

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Musberger struck me as perhaps on the low side. No way he's 20 spots behind Nantz, who probably is high because he does so much high-profile stuff.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think Musberger is even close to Berman. I think he gets a bad rap sometimes.

Yes, he can be overly gushing at times, and Captain Obvious at others, but it doesn't mean he and Herbstreit don't do a damn good college football broadcast.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Nantz at 24? He shouldn't be at 2,024. Agreed, Walton does absolutely not belong. Neither should Vitate.
    Bradshaw was outstanding as an analyst in my opinion (as is Aikman), but I don't know about an all-time list.
    I think Verne Lundquist should be much higher.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think Vitale should be higher on the list. It's impossible to deny his impact and star power, and he's one of the nicest guys I've come across in the biz.

I'd put Berman on the list, too, because he has to be on there. But I'd put the jackass at No. 50.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Al McGuire before Dick Vitale, the original pairing of Packer and McGuire was the best TV college basketball announcing crew, ever. Packer gets slammed alot but he and Al were BEAST.
    Tom Brookshire was Pat Summeral's partner before Madden and as great as Madden was, the pairing of Summeral with Brookshire was sublime.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Or do we think they were good because we were younger and think most things from our youth were better?

10. Jesus, does this list suck.
    McKay that low?
    Every hack baseball PBP guy on the planet, but no room for Cawood Ledford?
    And Foster Hewitt, who held an entire COUNTRY spellbound every week, ends up 40th? That's a joke. That's like saying The Grand Old Opry was the 40th top radio program in history.
    Gah.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, Pan. Summerall and Brookshire were sensational to listen to. Former players with great understanding of the game and very understated styles -- ah, forget it, they'd never make it today.

12. They belong just for the annual Who-Got-Drunker-Last-Night? Sun Bowl telecast.

Draft saved Draft deleted