1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 50 commercials of the 1980's ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 11, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

What was the name of the moderator on that 80's board we usurped during one of the outages?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are the man, JR. This will keep me busy for hours!

I still have my Vic 20 sitting in a closet. I was 12 or 13 when I got it, and I wore the thing out learning it's machine language and about simple programming.

I haven't looked through all the pages yet, but I saw the Freedom Rock commercial near the top of the list.

Did "Hey Soul Classics" make it?

"Hey brother, can I borrow a copy of your 'Hey Soul Classics'?"

"No my brother, you have to go buy your own!"

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Huge omission. During the '84 primary campaign, Walter Mondale adopted the "where's the beef" line to question Gary Hart's substance. I remember covering Jesse Jackson one day that spring when he took the media to a restaurant on Dixwell Avenue in New Haven and my lede was something like, "While other prominent candidates were debating the whereabouts of beef, Jesse Jackson was treating the media to soul food ..." My damn Fiat 128 crapped out in a pretty tough neighborhood that day, too.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Wow. Jason Alexander has not changed one iota. Well, other than the fact he's lost a lot of hair.

But no matter who he plays, what he does, he's the same person/character every time I see him.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In my opinion, that Apple ad is one of the greatest ads in the history of television.

And Ragu, I haven't watched them all yet. I'm working on it.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

("Layla" fires up)

Hey man, is that Freedom Rock!

Yeah, man!

Well, TURN IT UP, man!

A legitimate No. 2. I remember noticing the 150th time through that Stoner No. 2 was reading a Wall Street Journal, held upside down. What a sly commentary on hippies-turned-Yuppies!

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Were there CDs in the 80's?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There's a link to a second list on the site... 50 more commercials from the 80s:
    http://www.giantmag.com/2006/12/tv/by-popular-demand-50-more-80s-commercials/

On that list they have The Clapper No. 5 and Wendy's "Where's the Beef?" No. 6

I have yet to look through both lists in their entirety - can't do that here at work.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The two I find most memorable:

"Outrageousness!" /Jim McMahan

Max Headroom

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Did any of you like the Jordan/Nike commercials? I wouldn't know because I was born in '89.

Draft saved Draft deleted