1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 Starters in Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 22, 2010.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I like picking for 2011, so you have to have some pronectability and consistency....

In no particular order, off the top of my head...

Halladay
    Felix
    Johnson
    Lincecum
    Lee

Best of the rest: Ubaldo Lester greinke

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Batman, you just backed up my point. Lincecum's numbers so far this season compare favorably to what Johnson did in 2009 and in '08. Johnson was very good in '09, but not on Lincecum's level. Part of one season is not enough to overcome what Lincecum did the last two seasons.

3. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I'd have Halladay, Johnson and Lincecum for sure. Not sure about the other two.

A month ago, Jimenez would have been a lock. Now he's battling Wainwright, Felix, Lee, Lester, Johan, Hudson and Strasburg for one of those other spots ... I'd probably lean Wainwright and Lee.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Man, it is a really tough call with a lot of worthy candidates. My list would be:

1) Ubaldo Jimenez
    2) Roy Halladay
    3) Josh Johnson
    4) Chris Carpenter
    5) Andy Pettitte (love how he steps it up in big games)

Lots of other good ones, too, though.

5. outofplace

Jimenez first? Apparently, somebody stopped paying attention about a month ago.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess we're just coming at this from different angles.
    I look at their stats last year and feel that, while Lincecum was better, Johnson was not far off that pace. And then this year Johnson has pulled slightly ahead.
    You look at them and see two pitchers that are fairly even this season, and you give the nod to the guy who has been better the last two years and has two Cy Youngs. Hard to argue with that logic.
    Agree to disagree and all that. Wouldn't be much of a thread if everybody had the same five on their list :)

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's been there, what, a week or so?

I'm going to see the Rangers Tuesday - I'd love to see him pitch.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sabbathia is vastly overrated.

If Greinke were on just about any other team, he'd be in most people's top three.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tuesday should be his turn in the rotation, so you're in luck.

10. outofplace

Harley, Greinke has drawbacks beyond his team. His ERA this season is 3.59, and that is after a recent hot streak. The guy is outstanding, but I don't see him in the top 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted