1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 Players In 2010 March Madness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No shit.

But what is the criteria? Is it best players in the tournament? Or is it guys playing the best in the tournament?

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Collins should be included, no matter the measure. Collins had his moments this year -- some seriously cold-blooded shooting late in games during the regular season -- but he didn't have that great a year. It wasn't as good as his junior season, for sure.

James Anderson from Oklahoma State was a better player in the conference and also played in the tournament.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You loves you some chism, do you?

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

I was going to say Omar Samhan, but never mind.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Chism is good but Tennessee depends on several, and none of them are "outstanding," say, like the two from Baylor last nite or Jordan Crawford was Thursday.
    Chism was really important last nite, mind you. He's a heady veteran who can play professionally in the League or overseas.
    Any player on any team that didn't make the Sweet 16 should not be included in this conversation. Great players score, but they distribute to teammates, help the team advance, and play defense.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Great players do what's REQUIRED, Blitz, and sometimes, a great player is on a team where he's required to score 30 plus if it is to have a ghost of a chance to win. Expecting said player to also distribute the ball and play top-shelf defense is asking quite a bit. Larry Birds (Larry, BTW, was allowed to play roverback in the Celtics' defense because no one can do everything) don't come along every tournament.

7. Cuse007

Cuse007 New Member

Wes Johnson, Cuse
    Da'Sean Butler, WVU
    Evan Turner, OSU
    John Wall, UK
    Jacob Pullen, K-State

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Gordon Hayward of Butler has to be in the conversation now.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hayward was the most effective player I saw this weekend. All season, I'd say Turner was the best I saw, but if we're just talking tournament, I'd go with Hayward. He's got a knack for the moment when you gotta have it.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

None of these guys are still playing, but the four best individual performances were by:

Jordan Crawford, Xavier
    Jimmer Fredette, BYU
    Omar Samham, St. Mary's
    Armon Bassett, Ohio

The fifth spot I'm not sure about--Jacob Pullen, Evan Turner, Gordon Hayward, De-Sean Butler and Ryan Wittman and the Koch/Farokmanesh NIU two-headed creature are all solid choices.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I believe Brad Stevens recruited Hayward not only because he's a good player, but also because by comparison he makes Stevens look like a grownup.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree with lists but to me the interesting think is that there is not one player on said lists that I would consider a "must see".

Draft saved Draft deleted