1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 movie directors under 60

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just waiting for Alma to come in here and tell us the answer is Xiang Xong, an 18-year-old Chinese director whose silent film "Phyuck Yiu All" about the plight of gay kindergardeners in Shanghai...

2. Mizzougrad96

Fincher, Tarantino, Boyle, Coen Bros, Nolan and Soderbergh should all be mentioned...

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's a tough list to make, though.
    I think Jones is a genius.
    I love the Coen bros.
    I love Tarantino.
    I love Wes Anderson.
    I love Paul Thomas Anderson.
    That's a quality top 5, but leaves out Michel Gondry and Christopher Nolan.
    And what about somebody like Kevin Smith or Sam Raimi? Or Mel Gibson?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ah, not quite that obscure Mizzou. See Persepolis, though.

My five:

1. Lars Von Trier
    2. Ang Lee
    3. Tarantino (but it's time to stop messing around)
    4. P.T. Anderson
    5. Jonathan Glazer

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I had never heard of Persepolis until you mentioned it here. Then when I saw the preview for it when seeing Juno and it looks really good.

6. Mizzougrad96

A few years ago, I'd have put Kevin Smith on this list... I'm beginning to wonder if he has another great film in him, although the one he's making with Seth Rogen sounds tremendous...

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Can't believe I forgot Ang Lee. Man makes some beautiful films (Just don't hand him the keys to a comic book franchise).

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love Kevin Smith. I love 'Clerks' and I love 'Chasing Amy,' but I don't think his work holds up to some of the others in the discussion.
    I'm a fan, but objectively I don't think the work ranks.

9. You didn't like Clerks 2?
    I don't think he can ever top Chasing Amy, but I thought Clerks 2 was his best one since then.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As someone else mentioned, he's a helluva writer and funny as hell, but as far as direction goes, he doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. He mostly just stays out of the way of his dialogue. That makes for movies that are funny as hell, but I don't think his directorial work is on par with some of the other folks mentioned above.

Tarantino is a perfect example of a guy who can write razor-sharp dialogue and direct visually interesting movies.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ahhh... we're back to vehemently disagreeing!

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked 'Clerks 2,' but I admit that aesthetically it wasn't a top-caliber movie.
    Nor was 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.'
    Nor was 'Mallrats.'
    Nor was 'Dogma.'

Draft saved Draft deleted