1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top 25 vote...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 8, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No need to have a rematch; that would be ratings poison, plus that issue would have already been settled. The winner should play the top remaining other team for the title.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

OK, so since the Yankees clearly are better than any NL team, the World Series should be the Yankees vs. the ALCS winner, right?

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I can see both sides of the issue.

Ohio State and Michigan could very well be the two best teams in the country. If that's true, than they should play for the title.

On the other hand, the issue would have already been decided and the voters should give another team the chance to prove they're the best.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Gotcha. And it looks as if Brian Brohm may come back this week, as he starts throwing again.

And, just curious, did Kansas State have a good comeback against Okie State or did the Cowboys gag?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There have been many occasions in college basketball where the Nos. 1 and 2 teams meet in the Final Four and not the championship game. That's just how it goes.

An OSU-Michigan 1-2 battle would be no different. The winner goes on to the national championship game and the loser goes to a consolation game and picks up an $18 million check.

And winner would still have to beat a very, very good team on Jan. 8 to win the title, just as the Final Four winner would have to come back the following Monday.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But at this point I'm not sure Florida loses. The thinking was the Gators would have to beat Auburn or LSU twice to win the SEC. Now it looks as though if they beat Auburn next Saturday, then Georgia in the cocktail party, Arkansas would be waiting for them. Even if Arkansas loses to LSU they're still ahead of the two-loss SEC Tigers, and they hold the tie-breaker over Auburn, who may lose again to Florida this week.

This may be the year for the SEC to send a team to the Championship Game without there being the possibility of a split title.

That being said, I know I'd be glued to Ohio State-Michigan I and II

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

"Ohio State - Michigan I and II" is a horrible idea. The rivalry is so great and it is incredibly intense having two games would make the regular season game seem meaningless. A big part of rivalry is that they only meet once a season. One game for bragging rights, one game to prove you belong in the championship game.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There would be no point to a second game. Only an Ohio/Michigan fanboy (hi Junkie!) would think there'd be a clamoring for a rematch. And the last I checked, it was Florida that was No. 2; Michigan is at best a Pythagorean No. 2. If Florida or USC runs the table, that team rightfully meets the OSU-Michigan winner for the title.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Much as a UM/Fuckeyes 1-versus-2 rematch would be great fun ... it shouldn't happen.

And while Junkie was raving on fanboys (like me!) who get so hyped up for The Game over every other game on the schedule, this is part of the reason why.

Because it comes at the end of the season, it DOES matter that much. It IS a season-maker or -breaker. You get one shot at them, and that's it. The Big 10 title almost always hinges on that game. The entire season comes down to Ann Arbor or Columbus. If you're 11-0 and they knock you off, your season is toast. After that, no other game before that matters; the Citrus Bowl that you're relegated to becomes meaningless (although now you can possibly get a BCS berth as consolation, but still. Doesn't matter if you lost to the Fuckeyes.)

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

As one who has seen Michigan up close and gotten a good look at the other contenders, let's just say Carr's boys deserve to be No, 2 right now. Best defense, decent offense with a few warts and great special teams. Then again, with Mr. Manningham out, maybe not...

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Outing alert, Indiansnetwork is Elias.

[​IMG]

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does that mean his "wife" is afflicted with a gnome called Pillowpants?

Draft saved Draft deleted