1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 25... it was tough keeping Rutgers out of my top 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 19, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Because Team B must not have been that good to begin with. No. 4 is what the world thought of them as, but that doesn't reflect their actual performances. Why should Team A get credit for beating an overrated team?

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

That's an oversimplification, though. Sometimes a team falls off due to injuries, but that doesn't mean they weren't a great win when a team beat them. Other times, the impact of losing the game as a highly ranked team has a hangover effect that damages a squad and causes further losses. There's something to be said for the value of winning a game that was a big game at the time, no matter how the rest of that team's year turns out.

I've always thought it stunk to have a "big game" at the end of the year, because by winning it you then damage the value of your own victory in the system. It's like you're being punished for not having had cupcakes late so your better opponents had time to recover in the polls. Of course, that's before Ohio State/Michigan came along and showed us losing games has no effect on your worth.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

1. In specific instances, I might be able to accept the injury argument.

2. If getting upset sends your season into a tailspin, you weren't that good to begin with. Good teams bounce back from losses.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Ohio State and Michigan are done now until the bowl games. Why did these teams decide to play week after week instead of spreading themselves out a bit more? If I'm a coach, barring allowing injuries to fully heal, why would anyone want to go SO long between games?

I think Michigan's No. 2 still for this very reason. USC has Notre Dame in order to make the stronger case for No. 2 and UCLA (game's at UCLA) is still there too.

Draft saved Draft deleted