1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 25... it was tough keeping Rutgers out of my top 5

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Very good.

2. aspiring

aspiring Member

What is the justification for USC advancing over Michigan? I think UM's loss in C-Bus was an example of luck for the Buckeyes. I know the loss was in the last week of the Big Ten season, But let's face it, OSU and UM are, without a doubt the best two teams in the nation.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Luck? They led by 11 until that late touchdown and two-point conversion. No luck about it. A team loses, it drops in the polls. That's how it's always been.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Why does SC move up?

Maybe because USC has defeated three top-25 teams (Arkansas, Nebraska, Cal), with a fourth to come (ND).

Maybe because USC has played a tougher overall schedule, with nine conference games as opposed to eight, and non-league games vs. Arkansas, Nebraska and ND (to come), not Vandy, CMU, Ball State and ND.

And maybe, as was just said, when you lose while others win, you generally drop in the poll.

Not an inspiring debut today, aspiring. You might have to fetch a half-rack if this keeps up, not just a beer.

6. aspiring

aspiring Member

Well, let's keep in mind, I AM ASPIRING. I might ask these insipid questions or make rediculous comments (see McNabb injury) but it's in an effort to learn more from those that I can here. We'll see about that beer. lol

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Now that's the right attitude to take! ;D

Good luck on your career, this place can be a wonderful resource.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, if Michigan or any other one-loss team were to beat Ohio State in the title game, there's your answer as to why "when" is important, nevermind the how and whom, which people would overlook there when filling out ballots.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

If it was tough keeping Rutgers out of your top 5, why aren't they 6?
    Your thread title makes no sense.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it does if you can read sarcasm

11. Here is something that has bugged me for awhile...
    When we talk about about the rankings of the teams a particular team has defeated, we use the current rankings. Why should the current rankings matter? In most cases, the opponent was ranked something different when the game was played.
    For instance: Team A beats Team B when Team B is ranked No. 4. Six weeks later, Team B is unranked. Why doesn't Team A get credit for beating a ranked team?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No love for Miami? This sucks...

Draft saved Draft deleted