1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

top 25 final regular-season vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I've seen Virginia Tech play. I've seen Wake Forest play. I've talked to people who played Virginia Tech and Wake.

Wake Forest is a better team.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me, especially given that one team won its conference and is going to a BCS bowl game.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

10 years ago doesn't matter. 10 years from now doesn't matter. Now is what matters.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can understand that point of view.

27-6 Virginia Tech when they played two weeks ago in Winston-Salem could say something else.

But this is a week-to-week poll.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

except when they played on the field

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

27-6. Virginia Tech kicked their ass, the only team to do so. Clemson had to rally like a bitch to beat Wake. Tech lost its best offensive player and still won going away.
    Wake has had a hell of a year and I think as I said earlier Grobe deserves national coach of the year. Hank makes a very good point about Schiano but the difference for me is Wake IS going to a BCS game and Rutgers is not.

But I'll also say: Ask most people around the ACC who the best team in the league is right now and they'll say VT. It had a bad stretch in midseason that hurt badly and that's life. It didn't earn a spot in the title game. Wake and GT did, no question.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Jason didn't follow the head-to-head result with Texas and Nebraska, though.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

By that logic, Rutgers should be ranked ahead of Louisville and Oregon State should be ranked ahead of USC.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly. At this point in the season, you can't have head-to-head results dictate the polls. Who's the better team, that's how you're supposed to determine the rankings.

10. Moderator1

Yep.
    Wake is the legitimate and deserving ACC champion.
    I'm far from convinced Wake is better than VT.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

forget which team was better when they played. tell me who is better on paper! or who app's sources say is better

12. Moderator1

App, when did you see VT?
    First six games, I can see your point.
    Last six? No way. The Tech defense shoved it right up the ass of some pretty good teams, Wake included. Virginia ran ONE play in Tech territory and that was a punt.
    You can't slump in football. That's why VT isn't the champion (and why it wasn't last year). But it has had as good a six-game stretch as it has had at any point since 1999.

Draft saved Draft deleted