1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 Worst Teams Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Dec 23, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

With the Detroit Lions flirting with 0-16, FOX Sports has released their top 10 worst teams ever.

Number one is really not much of a surprise.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=8978668&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002#sport=NFL&photo=8974636

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The OKC Thunder is going to be number one on this list at the end of the season, they won't win 12 games this season, and I got a hundred dollar bet for anyone who thinks otherwise.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Those first two post-Jordan 2.0 Bulls teams should be in the discussion.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Eastern Michigan football in the 70's, 90s and 00s didn't make the cut?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love that the Thunder stink. That's the problem when you try and kill your team in order to move it out of town. They'll still stink after the move.
    People excuse the Tampa Bay Bucs because they were an expansion team, but they were playing in the tough AFC West that year. The Seattle Seahawks went 2-12 that year. Can you name the two teams they beat?
    I think the Lions "achievement" took as much effort and mismanagement as the Patriots season last year. It took years of work.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Well, the schedule was unusual that season, in that instead of playing divisional rivals like the other teams, Seattle played all 13 NFC teams plus Tampa Bay. The Bucs played all 13 AFC teams and the Seahawks. So Seattle obviously beat Tampa Bay ... and the 4-10 Atlanta Falcons.

And my biggest beef with any of these "Worst/Best of All-Time" features is that they rarely include anything before the Disco Era. Just because 24-hour sports channels began in 1979 doesn't mean that events that took place before there were video highlights weren't just as important.

Sorry, but the 1899 Cleveland Spiders were unbelievably terrible. As were the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Wasn't there all sorts of talk about the Thunder playing before sellouts throughout their first year in OKC? It's not like they aren't drawing well and it's not like they're worth watching ... but still, their attendance does not bode well for the future gates of this team that is not getting better anytime soon.</sonics fanboi>

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This year's Lions team is No. 1 if they go 0-16. No question.

It's been said a million times, but the NFL is designed to make bad teams better and good teams worse — although, somehow, the Pats have bucked that trend.

Still, the Lions have finished dead last or near dead last how many times? Thus, they get the No. 1 pick in the draft. They also get the easiest schedule. They also have played in one of — if not the, some seasons anyway — the worst divisions in the league. There's also a salary cap. And, you can cut and sign players pretty much at the drop of a hat.

This team can't tackle. They simply cannot or will not tackle. The secondary has been awful for how long now? They've used three QBs this season — including bringing back a RETIRED quarterback. It just goes on and on.

When all things are considered, this is the worst season ever by a professional team of any sort. It's also the worst sports franchise period.

That Mets team was an expansion team.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My kid's Minor Peewee AA hockey team in about 1996

0-42 on the season. Not even a damn tie

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

My junior high football team that went 0-9 in like 1996/97. Which NFL team were we randomly named after?

You guessed it, the Lions.

I was a DL/OL/Punter.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No shout out to the 1961 Phillies of my youth, losers of 23 straight?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My frosh team went a sparkling 0-7.

The sad part? We only got clobbered twice. We were in all the other games.

Draft saved Draft deleted