1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 things in Sports you wish were still around.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember the wooden set on wheels, too. I thought it was cool to see something that I'd seen on TV right in front of me. Granted, it was my 10-year-old brain being wowed. It wasn't until a couple of Hall visits later that I figured out why each baseball was colored differently. Sad, I know.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

It's still here, waiting for you to pay a visit.

My abridged list:
    1. The old NBA on CBS music. They'd play the final notes of the theme as the initial wide shot of the Boston Garden court came onto the screen, and the horn signaling the end of warmups would always sound just as the music ended. For some reason, I thought that was really cool.
    2. The French-only PA guy at Le Colisee, along with the trumpet player in the stands.
    3. Alcoa Fantastic Finishes.
    4. NBC's 1988 Olympic music. Vastly underrated. (
    ... but fast-forward through the first 20 seconds of Enberg and Gumbel getting mushy)
    5. Bruins-Whalers Saturday matinees.

3. Dignan

Dignan Guest

1. Petersen's NFL magazines
    2. Those No. 2 pencils of all the NFL teams

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The smell of the old "Pro" magazine programs they'd sell at football games. The smell of cigars at sporting events. Being able to bring a thermos of coffee (or other liquid) to a game.
    Football players with position inappropriate facemasks. Think running backs or Ronnie Lott with the "full-cage" facemask,

Players who arrived at football games looking they were going to work at factory, instead of at a law firm.

5. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Trophy presentations in the locker room with everybody, including broadcasters and journalists, getting showered in champagne.

Draft saved Draft deleted