1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 Songs of the 90s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Shit, I forgot "Cigarettes and Alcohol" by Oasis. Oh, well. I chose my 10. I'm out.

Am I just being an old fart, or were the '90s about 100 times better, music-wise, than the 2000s?

It seems the '00s have been all about the format (digital music) and the industry finding its way in the new climate.

I'm hoping the 2010s bring a Nirvana-like new wave of guitar bands, made possible after the industry finally stabilizes.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've come of age in the '00s with my musical tastes and I think that they've been pretty good. I think they're like the '90s in that much of the good music isn't going to be found on commercial radio.

3. It seems to me that the '00s have been less about bands and more about solo singer-songwriters.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I can see that. I look at my music and there's more talent in people like Ryan Adams than in really good bands, but there's also bands like Bloc Party and the Postal Service who are fantastic. It's different than traditional rock, but it's still good stuff.

5. Ryan Adams was the first person to jump to mind. John Mayer. Conner Oberst. Sufjan Stevens.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

1. Green Day - Basket Case
    2. NOFX - The Decline
    3. Blink 182 - Dammit (Growing Up)
    4. Green Day - When I Come Around
    5. 311 - 8:16 a.m.
    6. MxPx - Middlename
    7. Offspring - Self-Esteem
    8. Harvey Danger - Private Helicopter
    9. 311 - Hive
    10. Rage Against The Machine - Bulls On Parade

Honorable Mention: Weezer - The Good Life; Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Toxic Toast; MxPx - Chistalena; Pennywise - Peaceful Day; Green Day - Hitchin' A Ride; Green Day - Christie Road; Green Day - Nice Guys Finish Last; Piebald - Grace Kelly With Wings; Rage Against The Machine - Vietnow; Ten Foot Pole - The Getaway; The Get Up Kids - Action and Action; The Get Up Kids - Out of Reach; Blink 182 - Carousel; Blink 182 - Dick Lips; Sublime - What I Got; Sublime - Wrong Way; Sublime - Superstar Punani; Sublime - Date Rape.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

In no particular order when I think of the 90s...

Suck My Kiss - Chili Peppers
    Daughter - Pearl Jam
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
    Killing in the Name Of - Rage Against The Machine
    Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins
    Gin and Juice - Snoop Dogg
    Sabotoge - Beastie Boys
    Machinhead - Bush
    Song 2 - Blur

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Fair enough. It IS the best G n R song for my money, though.

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

The crime of the decade is that there's amazing music being ignored because there isn't a central way to deliver it to a large amount of people anymore. Even in the 1990s there was MTV, or VH1. Before then was Dick Clark or Wolfman Jack, Ed Sullivan, etc.

Now the music industry is so specialized that to find great music you have to look a little deeper for it and need a fairly good idea of what you want to find before you look. And there's more shit to wade through because we're drowning in an information-overload.

So a lot of people that would be fans of My Morning Jacket or The National might never be because they either don't care to really look or don't know how to find them.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I may lose all street cred with this, but George Michael's Freedom is one of the great videos ever filmed and the song holds up.

You also cannot have this thread without Mr. Mould.

11. Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus Member

93D: good call on Freedom. George actually has a handful of solid songs.

I actually did a similar list with a couple friends over a night of drinking last summer. This is what I came up with:

1. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    2. REM - Nightswimming
    3. Smashing Pumpkins - Soma
    4. Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
    5. Pearl Jam - Corduroy
    6. No Doubt - New
    7. Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole
    8. Dr. Dre - Let Me Ride
    9. Liz Phair - Canary
    10. Dinosaur Jr. - Get Me

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

OK, you redeemed yourself with #2. Bob Mould is horribly underrated.

Draft saved Draft deleted