1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 high school football movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Never knew there even were 10, but what do I know? From the AJC

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/prepsports/entries/2006/09/12/friday_night.html

Here's the list, for those who don't want to register (which I assume you have to do; there are some comments on the site explaining the picks a little):

10. Radio
    9. Varsity Blues
    8. Lucas
    7. The Slaughter Rule
    6. All The Right Moves
    5. School Ties
    4. America Brown
    3. Friday Night Lights
    2. Remember the Titans
    1. Go Tigers!

"Contenders"
    The Best of Times
    Wildcats
    Out of It
    Hometown Legend
    Comeback Season

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think someone lost a fingernail scraping the bottom of the barrel to compile that list.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yeah, I'm thinking so on this one. What's next? The top 10 movies in which a poor girl falls in love with a rich guy who rejects all the rich hotties wanting his meat because he wants a "real" love.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yeah, any list that includes Radio and Wildcats, the Goldie Hawn-as-coach vehicle, and isn't "Worst (fill in the blank) movies of all time" is definitely looking for a deeper barrel.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

How about Goldie Hawn in ANY role ...

*Top 10 movies showing the U.S. Army in a ridiculous light
    *Top 10 movies regarding a bizarre crime plot and a circus-like cast of criminals
    *Top 10 movies regarding over-the-hill ladies acting more immature than their own children

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

The Best of Times should be in the top five.

7. In School Ties, Brendan Fraser is "fighting Jewish intolerance" at his school?
    I do not think this sentence means what he thinks it means.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nice Princess Bride reference...assuming that's what you were doing there.

School Ties wasn't awful, though I was dead center to the target audience on that one.

I like this kinda stuff and I never saw No. 1 on this list... yeah, definitely scraping the bottom...

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You could argue that "The Last Picture Show" was a High School football movie which would move it right to top behind Friday Night Lights and All the right Moves.

All The Right Moves was low budget event - but maybe best pure football story - plus the added bonus of the lovely young leah thompson

10. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

Varsity Blues was way better than that.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

just post high school but did anyone ever catch "The Junction Boys" - Sometimes ESPN classic shows it.

Its one of better football movies that I have seen - HS - Colleg- Pro.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They didn't actually play football in that movie, otherwise it WOULD get a nod.

Draft saved Draft deleted