1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too soon for Cory Lidle jokes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Oct 27, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stretch, Tony is one of the SportsJournalists.com village idiots, but seriously, you have to lighten up.

Black humour is a way of psycholigcally coping with horrible disasters. Often, it's a communal response.

BTW, How did Helen Keller's parents punish her?

They rearranged the furniture. :)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That, plus they attached door knobs to the wall and stepped on her books while wearing golf shoes.

Know why Helen Keller's leg is yellow? Her dog is blind too.

How did Helen Keller burn her face? Bobbing for french fries.

How did Helen Keller burn her ear? She answered the iron.

How did she burn her other ear? They called back.

wokka-wokka-wokka

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The need to insult never escapes you, does it? So you say I'm right about him needing to lighten up, so if I'm right and I'm an idiot, does that mean you've insulted him even worse?

Nonetheless, you're right about black humor. Hopefully you'll reach a point in life where you don't need to insult gratuitously.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

If you're not insulting gratuitously, why the hell are you bothering?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Next season Major League Baseball will introduce a new statistic: the Earned Runway Average.

Am I right, or what? Ask A-Rod. :)

6. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is it too soon for a Cory Lidle joke, or was it too soon for South Park to spoof Steve Irwin's death?

Probably.

Should we have emphathy for their families. Sure.

But some of you need to quit being so indignant. If you say we probably shouldn't make Cory Lidle, Steve Irwin, Space Shuttle or Payne Stewart jokes, you're right. But if you say we CAN'T make those jokes, you're wrong.

8. If we can't make Cory Lidle jokes then the terrorists have won

9. rgd

rgd Guest

Old Tony is right on about this. It's never too soon for a joke. For a lot of people, joking about death is a defense mechanism to help deal with something that's going to happen to all of us.

(I think that last sentence read like something Debbie Downer would say. Carry on.)

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

How did Hellen Keller burn her hand?

Reading the waffle iron.

11. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Human suffering is #$(@#$* funny -I believe that could be the quote of the century.

I must be dreaming...this HAS to be a dream...

Buck - there is a HUGE difference between laughing at ourselves and the stupid, insane, ridiculous things that we do as a human race, and laughing at the misfortunes, tragedies and events that take place each and every day in this world. That's apples and oranges my friend.

To each his own...and for the record Hondo - I never, ever said you CAN'T make those jokes. Who am I to tell anybody what they can or cannot say. My argument is entirely about SHOULDN'T.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Boy, Stretch, you must be a lot of fun to be around. Pompous is the right word. You're exhibit No. 7,689,473 of how the world is oversensitive.

In this world, I take humor where I can find it.

And please, no lectures about losing spouses or children. Been there, lived through that.

Draft saved Draft deleted