1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too soon for Cory Lidle jokes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Oct 27, 2006.

1. I admit to finding this funny

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54214

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That isn't really a Cory Lidle joke, it's an unforgivable racial slur against Japanese people. You need to move this to the Somali cleric thread asap.

4. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I thought this was funnier.
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54497

5. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Let's see...

A man just died in a horrific plane crash. His wife is now faced with the task if raising their children alone. There are other families mourning the loss of loved ones from the accident.

And you're asking if it is appropriate to make jokes about it now that a little time has passed?

That has to be the stupidest question I have read in a long, long time.

How anybody can make jokes about a tragedy like that is beyond me.

Why don't you write some of your favorite jokes and send them to Mrs. Lidle and have her read them to her kids. That should tell you whether or not it is too soon.

::)

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Short answer: Yes. Much.

7. So I guess I should hold off on any comment about Lidle bringing the high heat

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Never too soon for a joke.
    In golf, if you pull your tee shot into the left rough, it's now known as a Cory Lidle. Why? Because it's a dead yank.

Also, it's a good thing Lidle didn't crash his plane into a cemetary in Poland or his story would have been like this one:

"The worst airline disaster in Poland's history occurred today when a two-seater Cessna crashed into a cemetery early this afternoon. Rescue workers have so far uncovered 826 bodies and expect to find more as the digging continues.

Stretch, you can take care of forwarding these to Mrs. Lidle if you want. I'm pretty sure she doesn't post here, so I don't think I'll be subjecting her to any pain.

9. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Great attitude...out of sight, out of mind. As long as anybody who might be offended by the jokes doesn't read them, then it is OK to make them.

To even think about making jokes shows a complete lack of respect for the dead and for the families.

Let's hope that if you are ever found in the position where you are mourning a spouse, a child, or a loved one, that you are not within earshot of people making jokes about it. And better still, let's hope that people have the common decency to not joke about it in the first place.

There are plenty of things in this world to make fun of...making jokes about a person who lost his life in an airplane crash isn't one of them.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cory Lidle? No. But you can commence to making Payne Stewart jokes now.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lidle shoulda asked A-Rod to fly the plane; we all know he can't hit the broad side of a building!

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Let me guess .... you also think this joke is inappropriate although a lot of time has passed:

What does NASA stand for?
    Need Another Seven Astronauts

Draft saved Draft deleted