1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much, too soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TooMuchTooSoon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Man there's a bunch of jerks in this thread.

Maybe you shouldn't be announcing your insecurities to everyone in here, but man alive people, relax.

Good luck to you, TMTS.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

I agree the best columnists tend to be great reporters and covering a beat is a great experience. And yet, was every good columnist a beat writer first? And how many good or great beat writers became mediocre or even lousy columnists? Some writers are simply are a better fit for a columnist or enterprise gig than a beat.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Are you new?

Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, where we pounce at the first sign of weakness.

4. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Completely agree. Although reporting and writing aren't really mutually exclusive, there are definite differences. A great columnist finds interesting topics and makes, as Rick Reilly once wrote, "Their readers laugh, or cry, or both." You don't have to break news, and if you are creative and can make a point, I don't think it matters how much beat experience you have.

As to TMTS' question, I'm 25 and still feel that sometimes I'm in over my head just covering my beat. There's always going to be times when you're trying to get to know coaches who are twice your age or sitting in a press box with veteran journalists that you'll stop and think, "Am I really ready for this? I've pictured being here, but now that I am, what do I do?" It's then when I just tell myself it's time to get to work, do what I've worked hard preparing for and not get caught up in it. Just do your job every day, work hard and let your talent/skills do what they're there for.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Check that, it was Steve Rushin who wrote that line, not Rick Reilly. Ah, the good old days of Sports Illustrated (for my generation, at least).

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Are you questioning TMTS's ability to do the job?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

TMTS:

The fact that you seem worried about whether or not you deserve the position is, to me, a good thing. It shows that you are concerned about the quality of your writing and I believe that once you start pumping out columns, they will be strong.

Best of luck.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Make that 26, and I go through the same things myself. Just focus on your work and do the best you can given the chances you have and the legwork you're willing to do.

9. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Report, report, report, report. Don't give me 800 words of "I think." It's lazy, it's arrogant, and it doesn't make you any better as a writer. Use "I" sparingly if at all. Of course it's your opinion; that's why your face is at the top of the column. Don't give me featurettes; give me thought-provoking and controversial angles. Take stands. Write with authority. Challenge your readership. And get ready to drown in hate mail -- it's a sign that you're doing your job.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Damn, was I ever asleep at the switch.

Get me a friggin' beer, newb.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What'll you have, good sir?

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dude, at this point, you're the servee, not the server.

Draft saved Draft deleted