1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much opinion ... even for a blog?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hammer Pants, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am all for getting something for nothing.

At least our shop seems to think that there is some legal protection in letting bloggers say what they want and long as we don't pay them.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The guy byline says he's a sportwriter for the Daily Progress. I assume they pay their sportswriters.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A number of paid staffers blog for the paper I read, and their top competitors.

You expect more responsibility out of those guys, of course.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet they don't pay him extra to blog.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's way over the line. It breaks the tenet of "no cheering in the press box."
    If he has those opinions, he needs to keep them to himself.
    That's unprofessional and unnecessary.
    Sure, Tennessee fans might be stupid, but you don't say it and couch it with the reasoning that you went to Vanderbilt.
    It's petty and unbecoming.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As long as these blogs are being published under a newspaper's imprimateur, it has to be of a more circumspect quality than what some fanboy indy blogger would write. Plus it has to be above the level of a high school sophomore (I won't even give the guy junior quality).

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I read this to mean Merchant is a Tennessee grad or Tennessee fan. I agree with others: nothing inherently wrong with his opinion, just written too poorly.

8. Looking at the comments, most of which are coming from the Knoxville area (how did they even find out about this?), and it's not hard to agree with Reid's point.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed. It wasn't a matter of too much opinion as much as it was a piece with way too much inanity.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

It wasn't opinion in the reasoned sense, just obvious reactions turned into words. It seems a huge leap to go from this to a well-written gamer from the same event, begging the question ... why write the gamer, then? Just post drivel and call it a low-denominator day.

11. Yes, exactly. I'll take that one more step. I don't want to see opinion in a blog written by someone who should be covering their beat as objectively as possible. Deeper analysis than you can get in the paper is one thing. But newspaper blogs seem to be veering into dangerous territory. I don't want my readers to know, or even suspect, that I was pulling for a team so I could go to some "sick" parties or because I went to the archrival school.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Thank you. That was my point, also.

Draft saved Draft deleted